Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why Muntons Wheat DME for priming?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline hennesseystealth

• 1st Kit
    • Big Teardrop Campers
Why Muntons Wheat DME for priming?
« on: May 29, 2020, 02:11:10 pm »
I have an extract-based clone recipe for Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. The ingredients are what you would expect using barley, hops, and some oatmeal flakes. But, the priming sugar called out is Muntons Wheat DME.

Can anyone think of a reason you would use wheat DME instead of the base malt of Muntons light DME?  I can't believe that little wheat DME is going to impact flavor or mouthfeel...

Thoughts?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Why Muntons Wheat DME for priming?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 02:11:44 pm »
It will work fine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hennesseystealth

• 1st Kit
    • Big Teardrop Campers
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 02:18:50 pm »
It will work fine.

Yes, I am sure it will work, but why buy another DME when I have the base malt already?  Is there a difference in taste etc. when just using it for priming?

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 07:27:19 pm »
Where did this recipe come from? It's possible that is just what the author used.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline hennesseystealth

• 1st Kit
    • Big Teardrop Campers
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 11:38:43 pm »
Where did this recipe come from? It's possible that is just what the author used.

CloneBrews, 2nd Edition by Tess Szamatulski, Mark Szamatulski

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 04:50:55 am »
Can anyone think of a reason you would use wheat DME instead of the base malt of Muntons light DME?  I can't believe that little wheat DME is going to impact flavor or mouthfeel...

There's more to beer than flavour and mouthfeel....

I imagine it's a nod to the fact that it's common in northern England to add a bit of torrified wheat for head retention - head is more important in the north as most cask beer is served through sparklers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 07:50:21 am »

CloneBrews, 2nd Edition by Tess Szamatulski, Mark Szamatulski

That explains a lot.  Never thought much of that one.  Don't worry about the wheat DME.  Like you say use what you've got.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 07:51:26 am »

There's more to beer than flavour and mouthfeel....

I imagine it's a nod to the fact that it's common in northern England to add a bit of torrified wheat for head retention - head is more important in the north as most cask beer is served through sparklers.

No, it's because of the quirks of the authors.  IMO.  Other recipes in that book are wacked.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hennesseystealth

• 1st Kit
    • Big Teardrop Campers
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 08:52:16 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. Do you know of better clone recipe books?  I also have The Brew Your Own Big Book of Clone Recipes but no author listed. I don't really like that book as the breweries are mostly little known and for beers I couldn't find to see if I like them.

Anyway, thanks again.