Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: tired of craft beer  (Read 7265 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
tired of craft beer
« on: June 04, 2020, 08:11:32 am »
you know the second coming is close when you walk into a beer store to pick up a awesome pilsner but instead see nothing but IPA's(which most are unoriginal and are all pretty much the same as each other) milkshake ipas, kiwi mocha strawberry porter, what's next cheeseburger and fries stout? or perhaps grilled cheese sour? what about mocha choca latte pistaschio helles served with a big dollop of whipped cream and chopped peanuts ? its getting crazy, how did beer flavored beer become such a rare commodity? started brewing to have more options then just yellow fizzy beer, continue to brew so i can have some yellow fizzy beer full circle
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: tired of craft beer
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 08:33:03 am »
Guess it depends on where you live and where you look for beer.  I don't have that problem around here.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 08:40:29 am »
To some degree at least I can relate. I'm not a fan of "pastry" beers - willing to taste one as a novelty but not going to buy a 6-pack. Occasional fruit beer at a brewery can be refreshing, but again, I'm unlikely to purchase one, with the exception being I enjoy fruited sours. I've found myself being repeatedly disappointed when I grab a new NEIPA or other IPA or APA that's touted as being very hop-flavor-forward. I've find I can't strongly distinguish most from each other. There's the occasional one that really pops because I enjoy the particular hops utilized. For me to enjoy a chocolate, coffee, or whiskey barrel aged stout the added flavor element needs to be subtle, not a kick in the side of the head. And yes, my fall back for a consistently enjoyable beer is often a crisp clean lager with great pils malt character. I gravitate toward buying German or Czech lagers when going for this style at the bottle shop because I know that I'm going to get the crackery pils flavor and balance I crave (freshness can be an issue then, right?). I do think that beery beers, lagers, have been making inroads with American craft brewers. I've seen more of these in pubs and on shelves the past few years. That said, I'll whine a bit here. I feel they're often not extremely well done. There's something missing in the flavor that I do love about a high quality import lager. I suspect that lagering time, or lack thereof, is a contributing factor for some. And the better quality of American craft lagers that I've run across typically have been "Americanized" meaning they're too bitter, too hoppy, for my tastes - I'm looking for classic balance like old world traditional lagers. These of course are my personal tastes, but I would like to see more places putting some focus on balanced, crisp, beery lagers. So where's this put me? - - I'm working on perfecting my home brewed pilsners. A work in progress.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 08:45:34 am by ravenwater »
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 09:00:57 am »
Again, I really think location has a lot to do with it.  There's a brewery near me (Heater Allen) that makes amazingly well done, accurate lagers.  And nothing else.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 09:09:36 am »
Again, I really think location has a lot to do with it.  There's a brewery near me (Heater Allen) that makes amazingly well done, accurate lagers.  And nothing else.

I absolutely trust that you're right Denny. For one, I'm probably generalizing a bit. There are a couple of factors at play in my case. IPAs and hop-forward beers have been highly emphasized here in the Albuquerque area, though that's by no means all that's on tap. There definitely is variety available at the breweries. I'm seeing more local places attempt lagers but feel many have not perfected them yet, or their goal is not quite what mine would be. And for purchasing at the store, because of liquor laws here that allow alcohol sales at grocery stores and even Walgreens and CVS pharmacy, etc., there are darn few actual liquor stores and they have to prioritize shelf space and try to stock what really sells. So of course the grocery stores mostly sell the Miller-Coors and AB Inbev stuff plus a predictable round of local brew that have become popular. So selection is a factor. In Colorado, where I lived before, we had much more selection. What I've kind of figured out is that the population of New Mexico is pretty darn small - we're not a market necessarily worth pursuing - so we don't get choices that might appear elsewhere.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 09:10:30 am »
What a great reason to brew your own the way you like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 09:12:32 am »

Exactly!! I feel like I'm getting things dialed in a bit but have some more tinkering to do to hit my target - what my imagination desires in a crisp beery beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 09:31:45 am »

I absolutely trust that you're right Denny. For one, I'm probably generalizing a bit. There are a couple of factors at play in my case. IPAs and hop-forward beers have been highly emphasized here in the Albuquerque area, though that's by no means all that's on tap. There definitely is variety available at the breweries. I'm seeing more local places attempt lagers but feel many have not perfected them yet, or their goal is not quite what mine would be. And for purchasing at the store, because of liquor laws here that allow alcohol sales at grocery stores and even Walgreens and CVS pharmacy, etc., there are darn few actual liquor stores and they have to prioritize shelf space and try to stock what really sells. So of course the grocery stores mostly sell the Miller-Coors and AB Inbev stuff plus a predictable round of local brew that have become popular. So selection is a factor. In Colorado, where I lived before, we had much more selection. What I've kind of figured out is that the population of New Mexico is pretty darn small - we're not a market necessarily worth pursuing - so we don't get choices that might appear elsewhere.

There are some decent lagers in your area.

I really liked Bow and Arrow Denim Tux Pro Pro Pils.

Marble Pils, But sometimes it is inconsistent.

La Cumbra makes some good ones at times.

I was at Ex Novo in November. They had 3 or 4 lagers on, that I rated good to excellent.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 09:47:24 am »
Thanks Jeff. Have not yet been to Ex Novo - hear good stuff about them and have been intending to visit, they're actually one of the closer breweries to me. Not a fan of Marble's beers for the most part, but that's just for me - they're very well thought of around here. Will have to check out Bow & Arrow's - haven't been there in about a year or so and I have found their overall quality to be good, maybe above average. I may have an "ideal" lager in mind that's a different standard than what most folks are looking for or enjoy. Again, more reason to keep perfecting my home brews. I will say that we have plenty of choices in local breweries. Since around the time I started coming to this area about 6 years ago the craft beer scene has exploded.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 09:56:06 am »
Not to diss anyone but I find that people who complain about lack of variety often haven't looked hard enough.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 09:59:25 am »
While I don't see the trend of IPAs and sours going away any time soon, I'm seeing a lot of newer breweries (taprooms in particular) that have a decent mix of styles including your basic lagers. Extreme beer isn't going away, but I don't see it as the dominant presentation any more in my area.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 10:02:02 am »
I went to my local distributor last weekend knowing full well they carry Victory Brewing Co's beers.  All I wanted was a six pack of Prima Pils.  Unfortunately, all I could find were Victory's 4 IPA's, but nothing else.  I asked the manager at the counter if they stocked Prima Pils from Victory and he said, "Never heard of it.  Can you spell it?".  I s*** you not.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 10:05:05 am »
Not to diss anyone but I find that people who complain about lack of variety often haven't looked hard enough.
oh i look and anything that i'm looking for is usually covered in a inch of dust sitting on the shelf warm for a few decades lol
Matty

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 10:07:13 am »

I could be guilty! There a several local breweries I have not gotten to and they may well have the manna I'm looking for. The search continues. And no, I don't feel dissed.

edit:  And it's not specifically a lack of variety for me at local breweries, just seeking beers that really satisfy in styles that may be less readily available or fall within that "beery beer" lager category, and when buying at the store I have my go-to beers for a yellow fizzy lager but just a pretty limited number of outlets where I can grab them.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:09:00 am by ravenwater »

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 10:22:20 am »

very true, but i dont have the skill or ability to make some brews such as ayinger bavarian pils or rothaus or pretty much any authentic german pils for that matter,  my pils are good, drinkable and enjoyable but subpar compared to the beers i mentioned
Matty