Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: tired of craft beer  (Read 7267 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: tired of craft beer
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 10:54:58 am »
If you want to pick up a great pils, just go get a Wernesgruner at Aldi. If you need fizzy yellow, PBR is always a wise decision. ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 11:35:22 am »
We all have our ‘white whales’. ...try, try, again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 12:17:47 pm »
If you want to pick up a great pils, just go get a Wernesgruner at Aldi. If you need fizzy yellow, PBR is always a wise decision. ;)
I have a soft spot for PBR on occasion it really hits the spot for me sometimes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 12:19:53 pm »
Not to diss anyone but I find that people who complain about lack of variety often haven't looked hard enough.
To be honest, I am often overwhelmed by the variety.

I’ve tried using my phone to look up reviews while shopping. So many beers have average reviews and average scores. Especially, the local ones. Average doesn’t mean bad and it doesn’t mean good. So, I run out of patience looking for the beers with good reviews.

I’ve picked based on labels. Lots of brewers can draw but their beer’s no good.

Most often I pick based on breweries I trust. That means I often skip over local and buy a lot of Sierra Nevada. I will try Keith Yager’s brews though (he’s local to me).

Anyway, I digress...

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 01:10:08 pm »
I am actually seeing more and more availability of good lagers both because more local and localish craft brewers are making them and fresh imports like PU are available in cans now. We have a lager only brewery in Mass, Jack’ Abby, that has been around at least a decade now that turns out nice traditional as well as American ipl types at a decent price. I also enjoy a pilsner and Vienna lager from von Trapp (yes, the Sound of Music family) in Vermont.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 01:39:08 pm »

Susan picked up 2 sixers on her first trip back. They are great, $5.99 a sixer makes them a bargain.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 01:48:55 pm »
I am actually seeing more and more availability of good lagers both because more local and localish craft brewers are making them and fresh imports like PU are available in cans now. We have a lager only brewery in Mass, Jack’ Abby, that has been around at least a decade now that turns out nice traditional as well as American ipl types at a decent price. I also enjoy a pilsner and Vienna lager from von Trapp (yes, the Sound of Music family) in Vermont.
Yep, Jack's Abby and Von Trapp both make excellent lagers. And there are a few places near me that get relatively fresh imports and store them cold.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2020, 02:22:29 pm »
Thanks Jeff. Have not yet been to Ex Novo - hear good stuff about them and have been intending to visit, they're actually one of the closer breweries to me. Not a fan of Marble's beers for the most part, but that's just for me - they're very well thought of around here. Will have to check out Bow & Arrow's - haven't been there in about a year or so and I have found their overall quality to be good, maybe above average. I may have an "ideal" lager in mind that's a different standard than what most folks are looking for or enjoy. Again, more reason to keep perfecting my home brews. I will say that we have plenty of choices in local breweries. Since around the time I started coming to this area about 6 years ago the craft beer scene has exploded.

Lagers are something I seek out. I can find decent ones in New Mexico.

If we get back to NM, I will let you know. Our spring trip got postponed a year.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2020, 02:35:44 pm »
Thanks Jeff. Have not yet been to Ex Novo - hear good stuff about them and have been intending to visit, they're actually one of the closer breweries to me. Not a fan of Marble's beers for the most part, but that's just for me - they're very well thought of around here. Will have to check out Bow & Arrow's - haven't been there in about a year or so and I have found their overall quality to be good, maybe above average. I may have an "ideal" lager in mind that's a different standard than what most folks are looking for or enjoy. Again, more reason to keep perfecting my home brews. I will say that we have plenty of choices in local breweries. Since around the time I started coming to this area about 6 years ago the craft beer scene has exploded.

Lagers are something I seek out. I can find decent ones in New Mexico.

If we get back to NM, I will let you know. Our spring trip got postponed a year.

Definitely reach out if you're down this way. As I say, still some breweries I haven't made it to here, and I believe there is more focus on lagers than was true a few years back. A friend is opening a brewery here later this year (ReSource Brewing) and plans to focus somewhat on lagers and generally on lower ABV beers. I'll be doing free "quality checks" for him  ;D
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 05:41:09 pm »
I've always found the store brand beers at Aldi to be a bit off, but I haven't tried that one.

Also, unoriginal IPAs and you're looking for a Pilsner? The style that's best known for not having a lot of variation in yeast, hops, malt, IBU, or ABV?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2020, 06:14:49 pm »
Yep, Jack's Abby and Von Trapp both make excellent lagers. And there are a few places near me that get relatively fresh imports and store them cold.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Finding the right store is key. I know a few hole in the walls owned or managed by beer lovers who have limited space but nicely curated variety. I more often find places with plenty of cold storage that could have fantastic selection but obviously have what the distributors want to pawn off on them, a combination of BMC and “craft” beer that is in line with what the OP described.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2020, 06:16:07 pm »
I've always found the store brand beers at Aldi to be a bit off, but I haven't tried that one.

Also, unoriginal IPAs and you're looking for a Pilsner? The style that's best known for not having a lot of variation in yeast, hops, malt, IBU, or ABV?

or i'm looking for a pilsner and there nothing but unoriginal IPA's
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2020, 06:32:51 pm »
It’s not necessarily that some IPAs are unoriginal, some are a little too original and not necessarily well crafted.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2020, 07:25:00 pm »
Those breweries would probably make a terrible pilsner too. As it is, I guess you'll have to settle for Pivo, victory prima, founders, spaten, ayinger, Brooklyn, six point the crisp, Austin pearl snap, pfriem pilsner, rogue yellow snow, Oscar blues pils, schlafly pils, revolution pils, perennial pils, new Belgium blue paddle, etc. I guess you could go for one of the identical styles and grab harp, tsingtao, asahi, Sapporo, or kirin. Yep, it's tough that IPA took over as the most popular style after a century of everyone drinking nothing but dark mild. ;)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2020, 09:22:40 pm »
i completely agree, craft brewing has been an illusion for a long time, people with little talent focusing on branding and crowding on board whatever trendy ship is in now, IPAs. I don't even like them anymore.

I have a soft spot for PBR on occasion it really hits the spot for me sometimes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

i have been a decade long fan of wernesgruner. Favourite german pils.

Occasionally I want to drink industrial strength malt-liquor s*** cause I am forced to drink it much more slowly than something that actually tastes good.