Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry yeast fermentation temp  (Read 3629 times)

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
Dry yeast fermentation temp
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:32:55 am »
What is the preferred temp to ferment US-05 and S-04? I haven't used dried yeast in a long time.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dry yeast fermentation temp
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 10:52:01 am »
I run 05 from the high 50s to the mid 60s.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 12:34:29 pm »
Just used it for the first time in years myself.  I fermented at 68 and got quite a bit of fruity "ale" flavors... more akin to the English Ales  I have been brewing.  There may even be a tiny hint of clove to it (notice it in one or two burps, but not in the flavor while drinking).  I am not sure if that was due to temperature or if there is more than just S-05 strain lurking.  (I am using in a new keg system and chose a neutral beer to show any flaws in sanitation or cleaning out the soda residue I may have)

WIth that in mind, if you would like a more subdued ale, I would go colder than 68 for sure.  If you want more fruit flavors, do not go above 68!

Good luck

-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 01:57:29 pm »
US-05 in the low 60s for me, usually let it raise to the mid 60s. It ferments well in the high 50s, very clean. I personally dislike S-04. It has that English character but tastes one dimensional to me. The only problem with US-05 is the first gen takes forever to drop out. Not flocculative at all.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:28:51 pm »
I also like to ferment S05 in the low to mid sixties and have had great success in the upper sixties as well.  I like S04 as it lends better mouthfeel and ferments about the same.  S05 ferments out pretty dry...great for west coast ales whereas S04 is good for most English examples.

I also use S05 in my American BW which really works out well in that it is like the Energizer Bunny...it keeps going...and going...and going.
Ron Price

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 09:02:55 pm »
US-05 gets tart at 59 for me...some say peach. Clean but tart.

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 04:29:57 am »
Thanks all. I have to use up last years hops soon.