Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When your starter beer becomes a “star” beer  (Read 1131 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
When your starter beer becomes a “star” beer
« on: June 04, 2020, 06:38:43 pm »
When I first started brewing, I really wanted to try my hand at creating something close to the Belgian beers that I loved. Many years later I don’t brew as many Belgian beers as I once did. Sometimes more than a year or more. My last attempts over a year ago (a Dubbel and Tripel) didn’t turn out very well. The yeast character from WY 3787 was muted too much for my tastes. The Tripel that I bottle-conditioned never carbonated up enough for the style. Anyway, I decided to make a Belgian Dark Strong and looking through my notes the last time I made one that turned out really well I let the temperature ramp up to the high 70’s during fermentation. So, I made a “starter” beer for this big BDS. A Trappist single around 6% ABV. I used a combination of Pale and Pils malt. A lb of Golden Candisyrup. I went out of style a bit with Chinook and Amarillo hops. WY 3787 ramped up to 75* over a couple of days. This beer turned out absolutely delicious. The American hops blend very nice with the yeast esters and phenols. The finish is nice and dry and wonderful on a hot day. I think I’m going to add this beer to my regular rotation from now on and if my BDS turns out this well I’ll be a happy brewer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
Re: When your starter beer becomes a “star” beer
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 07:26:24 pm »
The simplest beers are often the best!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 08:01:51 am »
I'm no expert, but I found that most of the beers I had in Belgium had lower ester levels than what American homebrewers tend to go for.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 09:29:51 am »
I'm no expert, but I found that most of the beers I had in Belgium had lower ester levels than what American homebrewers tend to go for.
You’re probably correct. I’ve never been to Belgium and it’s on my wish list. I would love to drink those beers fresh. I started fermentation in the mid 60’s and it ramped up to the mid 70’s over about 3-4 days.

Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 09:59:58 am »
You’re probably correct. I’ve never been to Belgium and it’s on my wish list. I would love to drink those beers fresh. I started fermentation in the mid 60’s and it ramped up to the mid 70’s over about 3-4 days.

Westmalle was kinda my go to beer there.  I found it much less estery than homebrewers try to make it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 10:08:50 am »
Hey Denny, did you drink duvel in belgium? if so was it different then it is in the states?
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 11:48:04 am »
Hey Denny, did you drink duvel in belgium? if so was it different then it is in the states?

Yep, including a Scotch barrel aged version at the Zythos Fest.  I'd say it was cleaner and especially crisper tham what I find here.  I was talking to the guys from Westmalle about how different the tripel is between here and there and they were kind of astounded.  I buy my  Belgian beers from a place here that gets very good stock and treats it well, but the differences are inevitable.

www.dennybrew.com