Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what would you tell an early 30s north american man to do with his life?  (Read 4971 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Exercise and stay in shape, eat healthy, don't drink too much, read a lot and never stop learning. Save as much money as you can and try to find a job you can enjoy.

Nailed it, bud. It's all right there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Exercise and stay in shape, eat healthy, don't drink too much, read a lot and never stop learning. Save as much money as you can and try to find a job you can enjoy.

Nailed it, bud. It's all right there.

Admittedly I haven't always done a great job on the "don't drink too much" part ... lol

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General

Admittedly I haven't always done a great job on the "don't drink too much" part ... lol

I thought it was a typo.

don't drink too much
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Re: what would you tell an early 30s north american man to do with his life?
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2020, 11:41:50 pm »
My only advice is something that my father told me when I was young, but took me a number of years to internalize; namely, poor has less to do with how much money one earns than it does with how one spends one's money.  Remaining as debt-free as possible will go a long way toward happiness. If possible, you want to be on the interest earning instead of the interest paying side of the equation.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: what would you tell an early 30s north american man to do with his life?
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2020, 11:33:04 am »

lol i do appreciate every reply in this. i checked a reddit thread once on "ask an old person for advice" and a consistent answer was "keep your health because if your health is poor at 50, nothing else will matter."

My only advice is something that my father told me when I was young, but took me a number of years to internalize; namely, poor has less to do with how much money one earns than it does with how one spends one's money.  Remaining as debt-free as possible will go a long way toward happiness. If possible, you want to be on the interest earning instead of the interest paying side of the equation.

yup, on that, i have lived in smaller places for a long time, and seeing the size of north american houses is just crazy to me. they feel really poorly planned and full of wasted space inside and out. i cant believe how much people pay for these pointless mansions that put a noose of debt around their neck.

most peoples grandparents here lived in houses a fraction of the size of the houses now and with more family inside.