Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Changing RO system filters  (Read 919 times)

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
Changing RO system filters
« on: June 08, 2020, 05:21:12 am »
I recently bought a replacement filter kit for my RO system. They sent a sanitizer pack with the filters. After sanitizing the system I was in the process of replacing filters when the end of the carbon block filter broke off as I removed the plastic wrap, damn. I had already installed the sediment filter and closed the system up.
I think I'll be ok for a few days while I wait on the replacement filter as far as the system being sanitized. Any RO reps or others, what is your thoughts?
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Changing RO system filters
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 10:08:41 am »
did you order them online?  If not take it back and ask for a replacement.  It should not have broken.

As for sanitizing the RO system, that is a new one on me.  I have never sanitized the system when replacing filters.  I have a Kinetico and just replace the filters when needed.  Only takes about 5 minutes.  If you are using the water to brew with, you are going to boil the wort which will sterilize it.  If you are mixing sanitizer, the sanitizing agent (be it Star San, Saniclean, or something else) will do the sanitizing of the water.  Your water source should be free of bacteria anyway (it is regularly checked by the water company if you are a municipal water source).  If you have a well, you can have it tested but again is should be free of any nasties.  Wells are usually checked when you purchased your house.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 05:39:42 am »
Thanks for the reply goose, yes I ordered online and have a replacement coming. We have city water I use RO water for brewing, we have botted water mostly to drink. The water will sit for a month as I only brew monthly. I read where water sitting for a long period can lose it's disinfectants. I occasionally take a glass to drink or make coffee or tea with RO water so I sanitize at filter changes.  Check this write up.
https://thewatergeeks.com/how-to-clean-ro-system/
I think I should be ok,  I sanitize kegs and set them aside for days before use, this should be similar. 
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Buckeye Hydro

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 03:19:53 am »
Do not run the system with that broken carbon block.  It will allow chlorinated water to reach the membrane - which, in time, will ruin the membrane.

It is good practice to sanitize an RO system at least once a year.  You can find instructions here:  https://www.buckeyehydro.com/instructions/

Russ