Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 16 Gal brewers beast induction range?  (Read 827 times)

Offline J Hare

• 1st Kit
16 Gal brewers beast induction range?
« on: June 09, 2020, 06:01:42 am »
So a few months ago at my local homebrew supply I bought a nice, fancy 16 gallon Brewers Beast 16 induction ready pot. It’s beautiful, but I’ve never used it because I can’t seem to find a induction range that fits it. The base is about 16 1/2 inches wide.

When I look up product info I can see that it’s induction ready, but for the life of me I can’t find a range (and stop looking when I get into the $600 range)

Honestly if I knew that this would be a problem I probably would have went with something smaller but I figured bigger was better on such an expensive piece of equipment. I do have 220 in my garage but I was hoping to stick to the household 110.

I searched the forums but all I could find is a tale of someone using 2x4s to rig something up for a wider pot.

Thanks!

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
Re: 16 Gal brewers beast induction range?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 07:05:01 pm »
If you are going boil any volume over 3-4 gallons, you're going to want 220V.  I got a used commercial-grade induction unit from a restaurant supply via e-bay for somewhere around $500.  It heats my 8 gallon kettle really well- 6 gallons of strike water from 60F to 170F in 25 minutes or so.  I don't use anywhere near full power when I boil as I use a lid on my kettle with a steam condenser.  I wouldn't consider using 110V in my case.

Offline J Hare

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 07:49:07 pm »
Thanks for the reply. $500 is going to be tough to swing. If I had any idea it was going to be this hard/expensive to find an induction cooktop I would have went with something smaller!

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 06:01:08 am »
This is likely a dumb question, but if you haven't used it, will the shop exchange it, or at least give you store credit?
Roger

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
16 Gal brewers beast induction range?
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 07:33:55 am »
It doesn’t have to be a $500 unit. I paid $250 for a 220v induction cooktop. Granted, my BK is only 13” vs your 16” which does pose a problem.

Because you have this problem why not investigate another heat source?  Many manufacturers offer heating elements and controllers that work great. Here are a cpl examples but there are many more available:

If you are set on induction I get it. The recommendation to return the BK for a refund or store credit is a good one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 07:43:06 am by BrewBama »