Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: revisiting older recipes  (Read 1812 times)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
revisiting older recipes
« on: June 09, 2020, 06:54:32 pm »
I wonder if any of you have revised your recipes after not having brewed them for a long time?

I just took a nostalgic journey back to '05 or '06 by brewing Denny's Rye IPA recipe for the first time since 2006 or so.  There is no doubt that its a great recipe- this time I know what rye really tastes likes and noticed how it contributes to the beer.  I used his yeast for it for the first time.  I remembered how new I was to all-grain brewing when I last had it.  There are all sorts of memories associated with the beer and the time and place that I brewed it.

All that said, I have found that my palate now wants that beer to be altered in several ways (which I plan to try to do on my own)- less crystal malt flavor, more hop aroma- some of the things that I now associate with IPA in the here and now.  Not that I want a completely different beer- I just want to tweak it but retain the attributes that make it a unique and interesting beer.  I think it may be time to pull out my own old recipes and reconsider them.

Has any of you had similar experiences?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 07:11:27 am by chinaski »

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
Re: revisiting older repices
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 06:48:00 am »
I haven't, but this makes me want to give it a try.

The earliest recipe I still have my notes for was an attempt at an Oktoberfest/Marzen (although not exactly because I had no knowledge of lagering at the time).  This was probably around 2011.  I liked how the beer came out so much that I remember brewing it multiple times.  Admittedly getting a somewhat different beer each time because my process still had quite a bit of variation.

Having much more experience now, I might do a batch and see how the numbers (and beer) come out.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: revisiting older recipes
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 07:24:52 am »
My standard porter recipe is kind of a "slow evolution" of a recipe that I put together back when I was still brewing extract in 2009. I often alter it to try out a newly available malt.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 07:44:02 am »
I actually tend to brew old recipes the same as I used to.  The RyenIPA is a perfeddt example...I still love that beer as it was originally formulated.  I find that if I want a different beer, I just brew a different beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 08:27:11 am »
I would say that I mainly use old recipes as starting off points for new recipes. It may be a grain bill I liked, or a hop combo, or maybe the way a couple of ingredients worked with each other, and then I'll bring that into whatever new recipe I'm working on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 08:40:04 am »
I would say that I mainly use old recipes as starting off points for new recipes. It may be a grain bill I liked, or a hop combo, or maybe the way a couple of ingredients worked with each other, and then I'll bring that into whatever new recipe I'm working on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
i do that alot too
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 12:39:57 pm »
My old recipes often change based on what I have available.  I've used the same American Wheat recipe for 15 years but it might be made with 2 row, MO, some pilsner and or red wheat, white wheat, unmalted wheat or whatever I have around that day.  The hops have changed several times. 

I have several recipes "I used for many years" that don't look the same today as they did 10 years ago but they've been on tap forever.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 03:41:42 pm »
I have used the Sister Star of the Sun IPA malt bill many times for IPAs, using different hops.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 04:06:08 pm »
A recipe that I have left alone and brewed many times in the last 13 years is an Amarillo Rye Pale Ale. Simple grain bill - two row, rye malt, and crystal 60. Amarillo hops and American Ale yeast. Great flavor and easy drinking 5.5% beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 08:28:46 am »
I have used the Sister Star of the Sun IPA malt bill many times for IPAs, using different hops.

There's a good reason it's a classic
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 06:04:05 pm »
A recipe that I have left alone and brewed many times in the last 13 years is an Amarillo Rye Pale Ale. Simple grain bill - two row, rye malt, and crystal 60. Amarillo hops and American Ale yeast. Great flavor and easy drinking 5.5% beer.

I'm curious, could you post the recipe or at least the %rye malt and % crystal you use?  Thank you!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 07:10:10 pm »

I'm curious, could you post the recipe or at least the %rye malt and % crystal you use?  Thank you!
Sure
75% Two Row, 18% Rye Malt, 7% Crystal 60
35-40 IBU Amarillo @ 60, 20, 0, and dry hop

Dan Chisholm

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 08:50:28 am »
One of my early beers was an extract amber ale. At the time I really dug it. I impressed myself with it as a novice brewer. I've been seriously toying with the idea of re-brewing it ten some years later, perhaps revising the recipe a touch based on having more brewing experience. Part of me would really like to see what comes of generally following my original recipe. A couple of things feel like they're holding me back - - 1) recalling the flavor and mouthfeel of it I know now that I probably didn't oxygenate well, under pitched, and it was under attenuated, though somehow at the time I thought it was delicious nonetheless, but with a re-brew I wouldn't recapture my less stellar brewing technique so maybe couldn't replicate a similar beer; 2) with passage of time and palate training I've become more picky and my tastes have changed as well. I'm leaning towards giving it a go later this year. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 08:54:20 am by ravenwater »
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 07:14:09 am »
One of my early beers was an extract amber ale. At the time I really dug it. I impressed myself with it as a novice brewer. I've been seriously toying with the idea of re-brewing it ten some years later, perhaps revising the recipe a touch based on having more brewing experience. Part of me would really like to see what comes of generally following my original recipe. A couple of things feel like they're holding me back - - 1) recalling the flavor and mouthfeel of it I know now that I probably didn't oxygenate well, under pitched, and it was under attenuated, though somehow at the time I thought it was delicious nonetheless, but with a re-brew I wouldn't recapture my less stellar brewing technique so maybe couldn't replicate a similar beer; 2) with passage of time and palate training I've become more picky and my tastes have changed as well. I'm leaning towards giving it a go later this year.
Very cool- this is exactly what I'm experiencing- a certain nostalgia for my early brewing "successes" in combination with a different set of skills, perceptions, knowledge, and available ingredients that I have now.  If you end up pursuing this idea- please post a follow-up!

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 08:29:07 am »
Very cool- this is exactly what I'm experiencing- a certain nostalgia for my early brewing "successes" in combination with a different set of skills, perceptions, knowledge, and available ingredients that I have now.  If you end up pursuing this idea- please post a follow-up!

Thanks for the encouragement. You've given me motivation to think more seriously about brewing my amber again. Yeah, I'll post results if/when I get the beer made.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.