Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what beer did you struggle with the most?  (Read 5677 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: what beer did you struggle with the most?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 08:21:46 am »
I've seen a couple of you mention that you can't get the Belgian yeast flavors you're looking for.  I'd be curious to know what those missing flavors are
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 08:23:38 am »
I've seen a couple of you mention that you can't get the Belgian yeast flavors you're looking for.  I'd be curious to know what those missing flavors are
for me its that perfumy pear flavor/aroma, spice and that bone dryness, crispness.  i always get a muddled mess of flavors nothing pops and its way to sweet
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 08:39:16 am by MattyAHA »
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 08:35:30 am »
I don’t like phenols dominating the flavor profile. I like fruity esters with phenols in the background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 09:31:19 am »
I don’t like phenols dominating the flavor profile. I like fruity esters with phenols in the background.

Intersting. I'm just the opposite.  If you don't mind discussing it, what styles do you want fruitier?  Do you have any commercial examples in mind as a target?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2020, 09:48:13 am »

Intersting. I'm just the opposite.  If you don't mind discussing it, what styles do you want fruitier?  Do you have any commercial examples in mind as a target?
A commercial example I could never get close to was Rochefort 8 or 10. I used WY 1762 and the beers turned out plain and dull lacking in yeast character. It has been a while so I am going on a not so clear memory. Admittedly, I have a hard time finding anywhere near fresh examples of Belgian beers and I have never been to Belgium. My perception could be off as well, but the Rochefort beers that I get are much better than what I have been able to produce. I made a Tripel for my 300th beer and it never carbed up enough (bottle conditioned) and I was hoping for more fruity esters that seemed lacking for my tastes.

Dan Chisholm

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2020, 10:00:59 am »

A commercial example I could never get close to was Rochefort 8 or 10. I used WY 1762 and the beers turned out plain and dull lacking in yeast character. It has been a while so I am going on a not so clear memory. Admittedly, I have a hard time finding anywhere near fresh examples of Belgian beers and I have never been to Belgium. My perception could be off as well, but the Rochefort beers that I get are much better than what I have been able to produce. I made a Tripel for my 300th beer and it never carbed up enough (bottle conditioned) and I was hoping for more fruity esters that seemed lacking for my tastes.

What recipe are you using for your Rochefort? Although mine isn't exact (let's face it, no homebrew version of a commercial beer ever is), it's darn close.

I've always found most tripels more phenolic than fruity.  My ideal of Westmalle certainly strikes me as that.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2020, 11:25:14 am »
For the Rochefort beers I have used just Pils and Candisyrup, Pils Special B Candisyrup, and Pils/Munich Candisyrup. For the Tripel I used Pils and cane sugar. Even though I have made some less desirable Belgians, it hasn’t entirely discouraged me from keep on trying. Recently, I made a starter beer for a BDS (a made a thread about it). Kinda a take on a Trappist single, but with Chinook and Amarillo hops and WY 3787. It came out very well and I bottled some from my keg for my club’s zoom meeting. Everyone enjoyed it as far as I can tell. Someone even asked what spices I put in it and I said none, just Belgian yeast. I’m going to bottle the BDS soon and I hope it turns out as well.

Dan Chisholm

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2020, 01:53:31 pm »
all this Belgian beer talk makes me want to try my hand at a Orval type beer
Matty

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2020, 02:24:06 pm »
all this Belgian beer talk makes me want to try my hand at a Orval type beer

That's a challenge.  When I was in Belgium, I had Orval 3 times.  One was 2 weeks old, one was 2 months old, and one was maybe a year old.  Totally different beers.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2020, 02:29:17 pm »
which one was the best?
Matty

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2020, 02:30:48 pm »
which one was the best?
All of them

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2020, 03:18:17 pm »
which one was the best?

I preferred the youngest one, followed by the next youngest, then the oldest.  They were all stunning, but we're so used to getting Orval with a lot of barnyard to it that the young one was a revelation.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2020, 04:07:17 pm »
which one was the best?

I preferred the youngest one, followed by the next youngest, then the oldest.  They were all stunning, but we're so used to getting Orval with a lot of barnyard to it that the young one was a revelation.
rather then heavy barnyard more cherry notes right?
Matty

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2020, 08:26:21 am »
which one was the best?

rather then heavy barnyard more cherry notes right?

Not that I recall, but maybe.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2020, 11:08:27 am »
Probably a dunkel weissbier.  I could never quite seem to get the yeast flavor right it was either too much clover too much banana and it just never never worked out. Going to try it again sometime.

I also had trouble with an Irish Red for quite a while and finally asked a prober a friend of mine why his with so much better than mine and he told me what the secret ingredient was. I'm not going to reveal it because that's a trade secret and I told him I wouldn't do it. ironically I took my ESB down to him and he said "boy your ESB is better than mine" so we brewed it in his brewery and it sells really well there. So you give and you take!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified