Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2nd Fermentation Questions  (Read 668 times)

Offline Insta Buzz

• 1st Kit
2nd Fermentation Questions
« on: June 14, 2020, 07:15:49 am »
The Background

I am brewing an American Honey Wheat, and everything started off just fine. Its a 5 gallon extract, pitched yeast at around 70 degrees. After 24 to 30 hours yeast kicked in and did its thing. Went from 67 degrees to a max temp of 72 degrees, stayed there for 2-ish days and then back down to 66 degrees. Good gas emissions the whole time. After 10 days my gravity was stable so I racked to a secondary vessel. I racked on top of 1 cup honey and lemon zest soaked in vodka. I was expecting a small 2nd fermentation because of the honey, but so far nothing. Its been almost 48 hours and there has been zero temp increase and zero bubbling. I mean I don't stare at it all day but the 15 to 20 mins at a time I'm there, it is no activity. Ive never used honey so Im not sure what to expect but I thought there would be a 2nd fermentation.

My Plan

Im going to let it sit for 4 to 5 days. If there is no activity I will start checking gravity and see if any fermentation happened.

My Questions

1) I only added 1 cup honey to 5 gals beer. Is that small enough to possibly not see a 2nd fermentation? Or small enough that the fermentation doesnt affect the temp and pressure?

2) Im concerned that if no fermentation happened, when it comes time to bottle and carbonate I won't get anything cause my yeasties aren't working. 1 cup of honey is the recommended carbonating mixture for 5 gals, if it won't carbonate now and give me bubbles it probably won't carbonate in a bottle. Am I correct in assuming this?

3) Should I add more yeast? (If there was no 2nd fermentation)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:29:09 am by Insta Buzz »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 2nd Fermentation Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 08:22:15 am »
Checking the gravity will tell the story.  The sugar in the honey may have already been eaten up.

If nothing has changed, you could add more yeast to see if it getsd rolling again.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified