Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Omega Kveik Yeast issues.  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Dominque Burshnick

• 1st Kit
Omega Kveik Yeast issues.
« on: March 15, 2020, 09:30:34 pm »
Hey everyone I don't usually post in blogs or forums but I've had a few issues and for the life of me I don't have an answer to my questions.
So in the last 6 months I've changed my standard house strains to Omega Voss and Omega Hornindal.
Depending on the beers I have experimented with temperatures between 80°F up to 100°F. I also under pitch to produce more esters for hop support.(typically 3 tsp as I've read is fine)
I noticed that the alcohol has been hot(ie fussel alcohol). However I recently entered my beers into competition and although I did well I lost points for the fussel alcohol that these yeast strains allegedly do not create even under stress.
If anyone could shed any light on this issue than I'd greatly appreciate it.

Offline scubajman

• 1st Kit
Re: Omega Kveik Yeast issues.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 06:11:36 am »
80-100 F is a large range. Which temp were you fermenting the batch with high fusels? I would certainly keep it under 90. Although true Kveik is said to be good at temps up to 100 F, the commercial examples are not true Kveik, so doesn’t behave exactly like it. True Kveik has many different types of bacteria in with the yeast giving it the unique character.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 09:16:07 am »
Two thoughts pop up-FAN and final beer pH (Link 1). Escarpment Labs and some others have found that kveik needs more free amino nitrogen (FAN) than other beers. However, too much FAN can cause haze and higher alcohols (Link 3). My other thought is that beers fermented with kveik tend to have a lower pH (link 4), maybe the judges are picking up a harsh character from lower pH and describing it as a hot alcohol?

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Kveik
https://www.escarpmentlabs.com/single-post/2019/11/01/The-impact-of-pitch-rate-on-kveik-ferments

https://www.brewersjournal.info/free-amino-nitrogen/

https://www.escarpmentlabs.com/single-post/2019/10/20/Crispy-brewing-with-kveik

Offline Dominque Burshnick

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 10:34:02 am »
It was multiple beers at multiple temperatures. The Hornindal I went from 80 to 90. Voss I tried 80 to 90 but it took longer than the average kveik to completely ferment. I thought it needed nutrients so the next batch I used it in added 1/2 a tsp per gal. Still got the hot fussels.
I'll definitely have to check the lower ph just to see. If thats the case its certainly manageable I can add some baking soda to the wort towards the end of the boil to raise it to a normal level. I have a beer on tap currently I used it in. I'll check it Tuesday and let you know what I find.

Offline scubajman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 10:27:38 am »
How long did you let the beer sit on the Trub? Also, you said you used 3 tsp of yeast in your batch? Over pitching can potentially cause that, but I’m not sure as Kveik is different than traditional brewing yeast we’re all used to. I’ve read a lot that 1 tsp should be more than enough for a 5 gallon batch. If I can recommend the Chop and Brew YouTube channel. They did an entire series on Kveik and experimented with temps and pitch rates.   

Offline SmokeyHopsHomeBrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 02:56:55 pm »
I'm doing an IPA with OYL-091 (Hornindal) from Omega.  Did 500 mL starter.  Ferm @ 74 F for the first 4 days.  Ferm was active but seemed slow and steady vs. fast vigorous. Gravity reading at this point was 1.040 (OG was 1.060).
Over last 3 days have slowly edged up to 77 F.  Ferm activity has been steadily present but hasn't shown signs up increased its vigor.  Plan on taking another gravity reading on day 8, if only because I'm curious at the rate of the Ferm.

First time using a Kveik on an IPA so we'll see what happens.  Have used US-05 and OYL-200 on my last two IPA's with good results for each batch.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:58:36 pm by SmokeyHopsHomeBrew »

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 09:38:46 pm »
Damn, this is one slow fermentation.  Took 4 days to go from 1.059 to 1.041 (74 F) and another 4 days to go from there to 1.031 (77 F).  I gave the fermenter a good shake & swirl tonight to get the yeast back up in suspension (not sure if that really does anything positive).  Actually seems to have made the ferm activity pick up a bit as I take a peak an hour later. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 02:02:55 am »
Add heat. I did a Kveik IPA at 90F. Drinking it now, turned out fine.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 11:39:16 am »
Gradually ramping now so I am now at 81 F.  I'll do a couple degrees per day and settle in at 85/86 F.  So far tasting my gravity checks it seems to be coming along fine.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 03:10:30 pm »
FYI - I just brewed the first time using Lallemand Kveik Voss yeast. OG was 1.051 on June 1st and its at 1.006 on June 3rd. Temp was 75-80F. Wow that's fast.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 09:42:34 pm »
FYI - I just brewed the first time using Lallemand Kveik Voss yeast. OG was 1.051 on June 1st and its at 1.006 on June 3rd. Temp was 75-80F. Wow that's fast.

What ya brewing?

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 06:51:44 am »
Wheat Ale with Amarillo and Azacca hops.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 09:14:28 am »

I've only used it once so far, it went from 1.053 to 1.011 in 36 hours, including lag at 85*. Fast is a bit of an understatement.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 11:27:40 pm »
Success!  After gradually ramping to 86 F with mediocre improvement in ferm activity, I bumped it to 88 F and gave the SS fermentor a good swirl to re-suspend the yeast.  Within an hour it was really humming along, I actually should have thought of the yeast maybe settling a bit due to starting at the lower end of its temp range.  Anyhow, from an OG of 1.060, got it finished up at 1.010.  After a week to let things complete, tonight I moved it into keg and forced carbonated. 

So you think I got to try it right?  NO!  My dispensing handle broke  >:(

Off to my LBS tomorrow to get a new dispenser handle.  Really, a rookie mistake not to have an extra in in my brew toolbox.