Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Zymurgy Cover Red Ale/ Specialty Grains  (Read 3039 times)

Offline ajs195

• 1st Kit
Zymurgy Cover Red Ale/ Specialty Grains
« on: August 31, 2010, 08:19:27 am »
On the cover of this issue of Zymurgy, Sept/Oct 2010, there is a beautiful looking red ale, and I was wondering what grains could I use to achieve this color.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Zymurgy Cover Red Ale/ Specialty Grains
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 01:27:18 pm »
Lots of directions you could go. A small amount of roasted barley in an otherwise pale malt grist, caramel malt 40 or cara-vienne or cara-munich or a combination of two or three malts. Munich malt also gives an amber color that can be enhanced by some carafa-special. Or you could try a malt called "cara-red". Play around with different grains in your recipe formulator software.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 02:10:33 pm »
The cover isn't in front of me, but in my experience if you want something red you have to use a tiny bit of something black.  You can mess around with crystal malts all you want, but the color spectrum isn't really the same: they go from gold to amber to copper to brown.  All basically various shades of yellow/brown.

I've used an ounce of chocolate malt or darker in a 5 gallon batch to get this color. Go light, because you usually don't want the flavor.

You can do that color adjustment any time. You don't have to put it in the mash; you can steep it. If I was trying for a very specific hue, I think I'd put the grain in a tight mesh bag and steep it after knockout. You can see the effect instantly, and you can repeat it if necessary. Plus the pH is low enough that you don't have to worry about tannins from the grain.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 02:16:18 pm »
I've used an ounce of chocolate malt or darker in a 5 gallon batch to get this color. Go light, because you usually don't want the flavor.

1-2oz of dehusked carafa II or III works best, IMO - less chance of getting the harsher bite than chocolate too.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 03:22:47 pm »
The cover isn't in front of me, but in my experience if you want something red you have to use a tiny bit of something black.

I agree 100%! That said, I haven't tried the cara-red, but it is supposed to give a red hue.

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 03:43:46 pm »
I know Denny has a recipe with 20% carared and a 1/2 lb Melanoidin malt. I've never seen it and no one has ever said it was red.

I have a American Red than uses 15% American crystals, 2 oz Carafa II special and a 1/2 oz roasted barley. It comes out with a nice deep red color. My last rendition only had the crystal and a 1/2 oz black patent. It turned out every bit as red but also has a very slight roasted astringency in the after taste (I like it.)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 07:12:35 pm »
Agreed.  CaraRed has never really given me the red I'm looking for.  An ounce or two or Roast Barley seems to do a much better job.
Joe