Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SRM of Brewers Licorice  (Read 5195 times)

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
SRM of Brewers Licorice
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:50:36 pm »
Can anyone tell me about how much an inch of dark brewers licorice can ad to a 5 gal. batch of RIS? It is not in my beersmith. Thanx in advance

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: SRM of Brewers Licorice
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:12:46 pm »
Your worried about how much color an inch of brewer's licorice will add to a RIS?  I think this is one of those times where you need to RDWHAHB. :)

Sorry I don't have a better answer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 04:21:54 pm »
Your worried about how much color an inch of brewer's licorice will add to a RIS?  I think this is one of those times where you need to RDWHAHB. :)

Sorry I don't have a better answer.
I see your point. :) I get all caught up in that my Beersmith dosnt have it that I dont think of anything else. I forgot my dont worry, just brew it attitude.  I gues the 68 srm it is without it is dark as hell already. can you get darker than black?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 09:35:18 pm »
can you get darker than black?
Exactly!   ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 11:22:07 pm »
I would think that the brewers licorice wouldn't impart too much color relative to the color of stout - which has already been said. I've never used licorice in a stout, but have noticed it as an ingredient in the past two years NHC 2nd round gold medal stout recipes. Why would someone add licorice - is the flavor it imparts a low licorice-like spicy fruit character or is it entirely different? I've only had licorice candy so forgive my ignorance. I've only had licorice candy and it was awful (judging it as candy it was awful - it may be great judging it as gelatinized stout)
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 05:51:11 pm »
 Why would someone add licorice - is the flavor it imparts a low licorice-like spicy fruit character or is it entirely different? I've only had licorice candy so forgive my ignorance. I've only had licorice candy and it was awful (judging it as candy it was awful - it may be great judging it as gelatinized stout)
[/quote]
I cant stand licorice candy. even as a kid I never liked it. The brewers licorice seems to add , maybe a slight spice, but more of almost a smoothness that rounds out and really pulls the flavors togeather. kinda like the rug on The Big Lebowski. I cant say what happens if more than an inch is used, I'm scared to because of my NOT wanting a licorice beer.

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:38:49 pm »
I'm not a licorice fan either, but when I do use it (usually in a Baltic Porter)... I prefer to use licorice root vs. brewer's licorice which adds a compelling sweetness to the finished beer and absolutely no color. If in doubt, don't use any of it!  ;) 
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline jodyc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 01:33:18 am »
I just brewed 5 gallons of American Stout today with about half a stick of brewer's licorice (the super brittle and hard stick) added with 5 minutes left in the boil.

It didn't disintegrate completely, however upon transferring to my conical I picked a piece up and found it to be very sticky...so I tossed all the shards into primary and am in RDW mode.

Upon measuring my SG of 1070 I tasted a bit of the wort and a bit of the characteristics are already apparent.  They're not overpowering but it gives off a noticeable licorice sweetness...also as far as the color is concerned, I already had a fairly jet black wort before pitching the licorice...any darkening of the wort from the licorice was negligible.

I am hoping that the particular sweetness can help balance out some of the roasted barley and Galena in my recipe. 
Perhaps adding the licorice to a lighter colored wort would make more of a color difference, but in this case it was nil.

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 02:53:55 pm »
licorice in the primary? great idea. I wonder if the frementation will break up and disolve the rest of it or not. you should post back again after you find out.