Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: STS Pils by Russian River  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Pawel Cetlinski

• 1st Kit
STS Pils by Russian River
« on: August 26, 2020, 12:16:10 pm »
Hi,

I just had a STS Pils from Russian River Brewing and the characteristic "sulphur" smell made me think of Pilsners from Northern Germany. Do you know if RRB uses highly mineral water for this brew, which would make sense for the aroma...

Thanks!

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: STS Pils by Russian River
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 01:20:04 pm »
Hi,

I just had a STS Pils from Russian River Brewing and the characteristic "sulphur" smell made me think of Pilsners from Northern Germany. Do you know if RRB uses highly mineral water for this brew, which would make sense for the aroma...

Thanks!

Not sure on the water, but some yeasts definitely throw sulfur character during fermentation, regardless of water type. I've gotten this with WLP830 (German Lager Yeast), WLP838 (Southern German Lager Yeast), and even a bit with SafAle German Ale Yeast (K97), all with waters built or measured to be low in sulfur (specifically, sulfates). The sulfur character can carry over into the conditioned beer, in my experience, although that can fade with time.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 01:58:27 pm by Andy Farke »
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Pawel Cetlinski

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 11:56:06 am »
Makes sense. Probably it's the yeast. Thanks!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 12:00:43 pm »
Ive heard the Santa Rosa water going into the brewery is fairly mineral free, and that they load up brewing salts depending on styles. Pliny gets a ton of sulfates added, for example. No idea on the pils, but I've had it many times and the water doesnt taste nearly as mineralized as pliny, it does have a nice crispness though. It does have quite a bit of sulfur, which I'd venture to guess is mostly the yeast