Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cut-Up Lemons for Mash pH adjustment?  (Read 4935 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Cut-Up Lemons for Mash pH adjustment?
« on: June 14, 2020, 02:36:27 pm »
Bad idea?

The inspiration comes from Rowley's Farmhouse Ales in Santa Fe.  I believe they do this with their Gose.  John Rowley's comment, "Lactic acid is pretty monodimensional. But when you mash with lemons, you get a lot of different fruit character that you wouldn't get normally. It's not going to give you over-the-top lemon character, but it is going to give you those secondary lemon notes."

I plan on brewing a Saison next weekend and was contemplating using lemons in the mash instead of lactic to get my pH in line.  I'm pretty hell bent on trying it so most likely I will unless you all talk me off the ledge.  Anyone ever give it a go?  I have no idea how to calculate a cut-up lemon for pH adjustment so I'll experiment and use some volunteer lemons in a pot of water, checking the drop in pH 1/4 lemon at a time.  Then take that knowledge into brew day.

Thoughts?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Cut-Up Lemons for Mash pH adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 03:12:38 pm »
Seems lime it would take a lot of lemons to get much pH change.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 03:51:28 pm »
No idea.  Could be.  That's the fun of it I suppose.  :)

Thankfully I am only brewing 2.5 gal batches so that should help.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 05:09:46 pm »
Citric Acid (the acid found within lemons, and thereby the fundamental component of your interest) would be a much better choice, and it would not alter the beers flavor as much by a long shot.  But even Citric Acid will at some sufficient level (presently unknown to me) add an undesirable flavor.

I've added up to 2 grams of citric acid (so far) to the mash of a 5 gallon batch of Kolsch without tasting it.  Roughly the ballpark pH 5.5 acid equivalent of 1.75 mL of 88% Lactic Acid if my reckoning of such equivalence is correct.

OTOH, I added only 1 TSP of concentrated lemon juice (nowhere near 2 grams of citric acid) to 6 gallons of wine, and I can taste the lemon in the wine.  Not a good taste.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 05:24:18 pm by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 05:28:52 pm »
Citric Acid (the acid found within lemons, and thereby the fundamental component of your interest) would be a much better choice, and it would not alter the beers flavor as much by a long shot.  But even Citric Acid will at some sufficient level (presently unknown to me) add an undesirable flavor.

I've added up to 2 grams of citric acid (so far) to the mash of a 5 gallon batch of Kolsch without tasting it.  Roughly the ballpark pH 5.5 acid equivalent of 1.75 mL of 88% Lactic Acid if my reckoning of such is correct.

OTOH, I added only 1 TSP of concentrated lemon juice (nowhere near 2 grams of citric acid) to 6 gallons of wine, and I can taste the lemon in the wine.  Not a good taste.

When did you add that concentrated lemon juice?

I would be surprised if the amount of lemons/lemon juice/citric that I add would overwhelm the flavor of the finished beer considering it will travel through the mash, boil and Belle Saison fermentation.  Of course, I base that all on hope and not any practical experience.   :)

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 07:04:55 pm »
When did you add that concentrated lemon juice?

Just before bottling.  It needed a touch of acidity and I didn't have any wine acid blend on hand so I used 1 tsp of concentrated lemon juice in 6 gallons of wine, never imagining that at such a small level it would be tasted.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 09:00:14 pm »
Go for it, its only beer! Worst case scenario is that you'd get some lemon flavor carryover all the way through  the mash, boil, and fermentation, and I dont think that is super likely,  to be honest. Even then, I don't think I'd mind that in  a saison brewed with Belle.

Whatever you decide to do, make some notes and let us know how it turns out! A quick Google search shows that the average lemon has about 7.5g of citric acid. I'd use a water calculator to determine how much citric acid you need for your recipe and then convert that to how much lemon you need. It won't be super accurate,  but it's at least going to get you in the ballpark.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 02:42:17 am »
1 US fluid ounce = 6 US teaspoons

1 US fluid ounce of lemon juice concentrate has ~1.1 grams of citric acid

1 US fluid ounce of an actual lemons juice has ~1.44 grams of citric acid

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2637791/

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 02:44:57 am by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 07:22:02 am »
Just a suggestion.  Why not just use a small amount of Acidulated Malt in the mash.  that way you don't hve to mess with the lemons and such.
I use 0.4 lb. of acidulated malt in the mash for an 11 gallon batch of my Saison and the pH comes out just fine (last batch was 5.37).  Not trying to talk you down, just trying to make things easier.

That said, the lemon might be an interesting experiment
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 07:27:15 am »
as you already know its possible its gonna add flavor, if you dont mind lemon flavor in your beer i dont see why not, pretty much any acid can be used, some are dangerous so you wont see aqua regia, sulfuric or hydrochloric being used as far as i know unless you brew with fester Addams, i would not go near that stuff, i tried a few acids before phosphoric,lactic and citric powder, i dont personally like to complicate mash ph so i just use lactic now cause its predictable and a little goes a long way with minimal flavor contribution, all in all i don't think lemons will cause you problems its just diluted citric acid,absorbic acid, water and im sure a few other constituents
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 07:51:55 am »
Well I usually use Lactic to adjust my pH.  Very simple procedure, works fine.

The idea of the lemons is to see if they will bring a brightness/freshness/lemon character to the finished beer that Lactic can't.  It's an experiment for sure, though one based off of Rowley's Farmhouse Ales.  I'm only trying this on a Saison because I think the "lemoniness" would work well (if I get it).  And if I don't get anything, so be it.  I just hope to not mess up the mash pH.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 07:54:37 am »
i think you will be good and i would love to know the outcome of your experiment
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 10:04:34 am »
I can't speak to use of lemons from personal experience. What I can say is that Rowley Farmhouse Ales has gained quite a bit of renown, folks around here think highly of their beers (they're about 45 minutes up the road from me), and from what I can tell John Rowley is a bit of an experimental brewer so not surprising that he's gone down the road of using lemon juice for acid adjustment where it sounds like he's felt like some flavor contribution from the lemons was a plus. He has a degree in chemistry and worked at Los Alamos National Laboratories, which leads me to believe that he's also a bit scientific in his approach and has rationale for supporting something that might be little on the wild side, and perhaps has worked out the numbers pertaining to his lemon acid adjustment. I'd encourage you to reach out to him either by phone or email (available on their website) to solicit a little more info if you're so inclined. Breweries here in New Mexico fully opened back up for business as of today, meaning brewers are back at work full time.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 10:51:02 am »
I can't speak to use of lemons from personal experience. What I can say is that Rowley Farmhouse Ales has gained quite a bit of renown, folks around here think highly of their beers (they're about 45 minutes up the road from me), and from what I can tell John Rowley is a bit of an experimental brewer so not surprising that he's gone down the road of using lemon juice for acid adjustment where it sounds like he's felt like some flavor contribution from the lemons was a plus. He has a degree in chemistry and worked at Los Alamos National Laboratories, which leads me to believe that he's also a bit scientific in his approach and has rationale for supporting something that might be little on the wild side, and perhaps has worked out the numbers pertaining to his lemon acid adjustment. I'd encourage you to reach out to him either by phone or email (available on their website) to solicit a little more info if you're so inclined. Breweries here in New Mexico fully opened back up for business as of today, meaning brewers are back at work full time.

I just might do that though I wouldn't blame him for not bothering with me.

Question:  Have you (or has anyone for that matter) ever tried their Meyer Lemon Gose?  If yes, did the lemon leave an impression?

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 11:21:04 am »

I just might do that though I wouldn't blame him for not bothering with me.

Question:  Have you (or has anyone for that matter) ever tried their Meyer Lemon Gose?  If yes, did the lemon leave an impression?

I reckon you won't know if you don't try - and yes of course he may not bother with a reply, but no harm in asking. No I haven't tried Meyer Lemon Gose. Sound right tasty though. I enjoy Anderson' Valley's briny melon gose and have come up with my version of a honeydew melon gose that's a great summertime brew. Anderson Valley's goses tend to lean heavy on the salt but I enjoy them.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.