Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cut-Up Lemons for Mash pH adjustment?  (Read 5041 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Cut-Up Lemons for Mash pH adjustment?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2020, 06:09:16 pm »
They wax the lemons you get at the grocery store so I don't know if you would get much from the rind without zesting them.

Good point. It's pretty easy to take the wax off though. Hot water rinse and a wipe with a clean paper towel.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2020, 05:28:36 pm »
So ...on a hunch, I took it upon myself....and mashed in with 1/2 pound of quartered lemons for my 2.5 gallon batch.  (Sounds like a lot, but it was 2 lemons). This was a Saison.  Don’t ask what my mash pH was, I didn’t bother.  I didn’t want to know and I wasn’t going to make adjustments anyhow.  I was on a mission.  (I stuck a pH strip in there and it looked like they always do.)

The lemons in the Mash smelled absolutely wonderful!!  For the first 45 minutes or so.  Now I had it in my mind to mash this Saison for 90 minutes at 150 in order to create as fermentable a wort as possible.  By the end of the mash, the lemon aroma had dissipated substantially. Pre boil gravity was on target so I discarded the spent grains and lemons and away I went to the boil.  90 minute boil.  Uneventful.  O.G. came in 1 point low, but I had a smidge extra volume so I call it a wash.  Transferred and pitched.

The post boil sample I took had a noticeable but subtle citrus/lemon aroma.  No “wow” factor, but a little something for the effort. I thought it also had a bit fuller mouthfeel, but I have no idea what that’s about.  Whether any lemon makes it past the Belle Saison...Yeah, at this point, I highly doubt it.  But...I think lemon-mashing could lead to something if the mash and boil were kept to reasonable times.  Maybe 45-60 minutes max each.  And probably not with an expressive yeast.

I’ll post back in a few weeks and let you know how it turned out.  Visual signs of fermentation took off in about 3 hours.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 05:31:15 pm by Megary »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2020, 08:15:00 am »
But you don't know if they did anything for pH?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2020, 11:10:15 am »
Well I'm sure the lemons did something for pH, but like I said, I did not test the pH.  (Unless you call a pH strip "testing."  I don't.) I retired my pH meter and didn't feel like buying new storage and buffering solutions to use for 1 batch.
Tsk, tsk.  I know.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2020, 11:19:11 am »
Well I'm sure the lemons did something for pH, but like I said, I did not test the pH.  (Unless you call a pH strip "testing."  I don't.) I retired my pH meter and didn't feel like buying new storage and buffering solutions to use for 1 batch.
Tsk, tsk.  I know.

With all due respect, unless you tested you don't knpw.  So the initial question remains unanswered.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2020, 11:41:54 am »
Tsk, tsk.  I know.

With all due respect, unless you tested you don't knpw.  So the initial question remains unanswered.

Sounds good.

Unanswered it shall remain.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2020, 01:28:20 pm »
damn it, wanted to know what happened, oh well, hope the beer turns out good
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2020, 10:25:32 am »
So I kegged this Lemon-mashed Saison yesterday.

OG was 1.056

Fermentation was 68 for 2 days, 72 for 5 days, rise to 80 for a week.

FG was 1.004.

Sample taste from the hydrometer was all clove and lemon-citrus.  Quite promising.  Pretty happy that the lemon seems to have made it through fermentation. Final results after carbonation and conditioning in a couple of weeks.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2020, 01:41:59 pm »
Just to tie the bow on this in case anyone was following...

The carbonated beer has a no doubt about it Saison aroma.  The taste has the signature phenolic/spice/clove from Belle Saison and finishes all lemon/citrus.  Nice foam with staying power and lacing throughout.  Does the lemon belong in a Saison?  Maybe, maybe not, but this is a great summer beer.  Very happy with the results. 

I hate Tapatalk (sp?), but if you are interested,

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/what-are-you-drinking-right-now.2751/page-232#post-111581

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2020, 08:28:28 am »
Just to tie the bow on this in case anyone was following...

The carbonated beer has a no doubt about it Saison aroma.  The taste has the signature phenolic/spice/clove from Belle Saison and finishes all lemon/citrus.  Nice foam with staying power and lacing throughout.  Does the lemon belong in a Saison?  Maybe, maybe not, but this is a great summer beer.  Very happy with the results. 

Hey thanks for posting a note about your results. Yes, I am interested in knowing where things landed on this. Glad you're finding it to your liking.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2020, 09:05:03 am »
That beer sounds yummy, Megary!  Enjoy it while it lasts - it wouldn't last long on my taps...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"