Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gound coffee beans in 5 gallon porter recipe  (Read 7703 times)

Offline jgl2ltts

• 1st Kit
Gound coffee beans in 5 gallon porter recipe
« on: August 29, 2010, 03:54:33 pm »
How much coffee would be appropriate to add to a 5 gallon porter partial mash recipe?  Also, should it be placed in the mash, or added to the boil?

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Gound coffee beans in 5 gallon porter recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 05:23:29 pm »
How much coffee would be appropriate to add to a 5 gallon porter partial mash recipe?  Also, should it be placed in the mash, or added to the boil?

When I make a coffee porter I make a coffee concentrate with 1/4 pound coffee and 1 quart of cold water.  I put the coffee & water mixture into the fridge for 3 or 4 days then filter it through some cheese cloth.  I add the coffee concentrate at bottling time.  By making a cold coffee concentrate you prevent any bitterness from the coffee from affecting the beer flavor.  If I were to choose between the mash or the boil... I would choose the last minute or two of the boil in a grain bag.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 05:30:23 pm »
Yeah, cold brewed works best.  Avoids the bitterness and acidity like chezteth says.  Add it at bottling time to get the most bang out of it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:30:33 am by hokerer »
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 10:08:15 am »

Neither.  Add coffee to taste at bottling or kegging time.  You can also "dry bean" in secondary for more aroma.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jgl2ltts

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 07:18:49 pm »
Regarding the addition of dry beans to the secondary, that sounds appealing but shouldn't I be concerned with contamination of the beer at that point?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 10:44:40 pm »
No.

The beans are roasted, so assuming they haven't been rolled in mold before you throw them in the fermenter there should be very little in the way of critters on them.  And for the same reason we don't worry when we dry hop in the secondary, there's no need to worry with beans - the low pH and alcohol do a number on a lot of bacteria/mold, as do the hops themselves and the lack of food for many bugs.

RDWHAHB :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 01:02:37 am »
What? Drunk and can't sleep??

Pop some light roasted beans in a hot oven on a cookie sheet until they crack some more- then cool. This'll sterilize them and wake up the flavor before steeping.

Might smoke a little... ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 09:12:43 am »
Regarding the addition of dry beans to the secondary, that sounds appealing but shouldn't I be concerned with contamination of the beer at that point?

As Tom said, no worries about infection.  If you do this, I usually use 4-6 oz. of coarsely cracked beans in a sanitized bag.  I usually leave them in for 4 days to a week.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 05:13:08 pm »

Neither.  Add coffee to taste at bottling or kegging time.  You can also "dry bean" in secondary for more aroma.
[/quote]

I also usualy do the dry bean in secondary. I also have made it by dumping shots of espresso into the keg to taste. both ways can make a great beer.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 08:09:08 am »
Before you do 'dry beaning', try it on a small scale and see if you like it.

I don't like the flavor that way; I think coffee (like spices) needs some heat (not necessarily boiling) to develop the best flavor. 

But tastes are subjective.  Try alternatives and use the one that tastes the best to you.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 09:18:04 pm »
I'm agree with Gordon on finding your own path to coffee beer enlightenment. I can honestly recommend against "greenbeaning" unless you enjoy putrid beer.  :P 
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA