Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Domaine Dupage  (Read 6110 times)

Offline cowardm

• 1st Kit
Domaine Dupage
« on: September 09, 2010, 08:37:49 am »
I don't post here often because I don't really feel I have a lot to contribute.  I've only done a few batches myself and am still learning.  That said, I hope to learn more and eventually be able to contribute.

I recently tried the Two Brothers Domaine Dupage and it was just ridiculously good.  I'm still an extract brewer (I've steeped grains and stuff) and don't really have the time or money to dive into all grain brewing.  But I really want to clone this Domaine Dupage but I can only find all grain recipes.  Does anyone have any idea how I might go about brewing this one in extract (I'm willing to steep grains, I just don't know how to mash or have the tools to do it).  Thanks.

If it helps this is the grain recipe I found:

7.25 lbs pale ale malt
4 lbs vienna malt
2 lbs munich malt
.75 lbs Weyermann CaraWheat Malt
.25 lbs Weyermann CaraMunich Malt
.25 lbs melanoidin malt

1.75 AAU Northern Brewer hops (60 min.) 9% AA
3.3 AAU Mt. Hood (25 min.) 5% AA
4.4 AAU Mt. Hood (10 min.) 5% AA

1 tsp gypsum and acid to lower ph to 6.5 prior to mash-in.

Mash 15 min. 155 F and raise to 168 F for 10 min. (this looks strange to me, but that is what the recipe calls for...)

Sparge with 164 F water and collect 6.5 gal. Boil 120 min. Begin hop additions with 60 min left in boil.

White Labs WLP550 Belgian Ale Yeast
Michael

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: Domaine Dupage
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:32:50 am »
Here's what I'm coming up with.  Hopefully someone can help verify it.

7.25 lbs pale ale malt = 4.34 lbs. DME or 5.43 lbs. LME
4 lbs vienna malt = Must me mashed
2 lbs munich malt = Must be mashed
.75 lbs Weyermann CaraWheat Malt = Steep
.25 lbs Weyermann CaraMunich Malt = Steep
.25 lbs melanoidin malt = Steep

To successfully brew this recipe you'll have to do a mini mash to convert the Vienna & Munich malts.
Just GOOGLE how to do a mini mash.  I think the 15 minute mash is a mistake?  I would suggest at least 45 minutes. It's really not that difficult to do a mini mash once you understand the basics.

Cheers!!!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:35:24 am by hamiltont »
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 10:16:26 am »
this is one of their better products. their dog day dortmunder lager is not bad, the cain and ebel rye is okay and so is the bitter end ale not bad.  not a big fan of their ebelweiss though.  good luck brewing this.
Don AHA member

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:32:32 am »
A minimash is really easy to do, its the same as steeping except you hold it for a bit longer at a specific temp.  You should go for it.

But if you're not so inclined, you can get munich malt extracts.  Here's what I would do to convert the recipe to extract/steeping:

Original:
7.25 lbs pale ale malt
4 lbs vienna malt
2 lbs munich malt
.25 lbs melanoidin malt

Change to:
9.25 lbs pale ale malt
4 lbs munich malt
.25 lbs melanoidin malt

Then to convert to extract, assuming 70% efficiency so an OG of 1.068:
3.75 lbs liquid pale malt extract
5.75 lbs liquid munich malt extract
Steep:
.25 lbs melanoidin malt

Tom Schmidlin

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 11:43:50 am »
Nothing to really add except that I'm a fan of this beer as well. Very tasty!  :)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 12:10:47 pm »
Here's what I'm coming up with.  Hopefully someone can help verify it.

7.25 lbs pale ale malt = 4.34 lbs. DME or 5.43 lbs. LME
4 lbs vienna malt = Must me mashed
2 lbs munich malt = Must be mashed
.75 lbs Weyermann CaraWheat Malt = Steep
.25 lbs Weyermann CaraMunich Malt = Steep
.25 lbs melanoidin malt = Steep

To successfully brew this recipe you'll have to do a mini mash to convert the Vienna & Munich malts.
Just GOOGLE how to do a mini mash.  I think the 15 minute mash is a mistake?  I would suggest at least 45 minutes. It's really not that difficult to do a mini mash once you understand the basics.

Cheers!!!
Take the above and "Steep" all the grain at 150F for an hour.

(don't tell anyone, but that is "mashing"
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 12:16:42 pm »
Here's an extract recipe from BYO.  It's a little different but might be as close or closer.  Who knows???

http://www.byo.com/stories/recipes/article/indices/51-recipe-exchange/2106-two-brothers-brewing-company-domaine-dupage-recipe
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 12:19:50 pm »
Here's an extract recipe from BYO.  It's a little different but might be as close or closer.  Who knows???

http://www.byo.com/stories/recipes/article/indices/51-recipe-exchange/2106-two-brothers-brewing-company-domaine-dupage-recipe
That's a mini-mash recipe, but like I said, mini-mashing is the same as steeping except for the time/temp.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 12:27:02 pm »

That's a mini-mash recipe, but like I said, mini-mashing is the same as steeping except for the time/temp.

And controlling the water/grist ratio.  Too many people steep with too much water.  Whether steeping, minimashing, or mashing, you should keep the water/grist ratio under 2 qt./lb. in order to control your pH.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 12:29:16 pm »

I guess you can call it what you like.  The Step by Step in the article calls it steeping, which the OP said he was familiar with.  Just sayin'  ;)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 12:29:59 pm »

And controlling the water/grist ratio.  Too many people steep with too much water.  Whether steeping, minimashing, or mashing, you should keep the water/grist ratio under 2 qt./lb. in order to control your pH.
Yes.  And having a reasonable water/grist ratio.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 12:33:59 pm »
I guess you can call it what you like.  The Step by Step in the article calls it steeping, which the OP said he was familiar with.  Just sayin'  ;)
:) Yeah, it's just that steeping can be at any temp really, and a mini-mash requires specific temps.  Not that big of a deal really, but if you steep munich at 160F you'll get a different beer than if you steep at 152F.  So it's mashing, even if it is really similar to steeping, but someone familiar with steeping might not know how important the temp is in the mash.
Tom Schmidlin