Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 400 year old buttered beer recipe  (Read 1560 times)

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
400 year old buttered beer recipe
« on: June 15, 2020, 07:06:45 pm »
I've never tried to make a buttered (butter) beer.  But if I was going to, I think this is the recipe I would follow.

https://youtu.be/ZlMhZvOX2ps

While watching this video, you do have to allow for certain things.  For example, he says to use a British ale for the recipe, and then you see him pouring in a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. ;D

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: 400 year old buttered beer recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 05:26:23 pm »
This looks interesting, if a bit gross. I think I would try it with a malty brown or amber ale. Maybe something like Boont Amber or Moose Drool.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 04:23:48 pm »
143 views and 1 response prior to mine. With all due respect to the OP, I think, in my opinion, that the idea is pretty nasty sounding. I must admit though, I didn't look at the link.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 05:43:31 pm »
I don't think the lack of responses is because people find the idea nasty.  I think it's because the butter beer fad has been gone for quite some time.  Except for people out there who are still throwing Harry Potter parties.

As I said, I never made one before.  But this was definitely the most interesting take on the idea that I ever saw.  That was the reason for posting it.

If I do ever get around to giving this a shot, I'd probably use an English porter.  I think that would work well as a base with the flavors described in the video.

Offline alirafami

• 1st Kit
    • لیزر بیکینی
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 10:13:43 am »
 I've just made this and I gotta say I love it. It was a bit too sweet with half an lb of demerara sugar but I figure to tweak it a bit next time. I used Newcastle brown ale and it does the trick. I will try other British beers next time.

Offline jeaneallenn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 01:15:50 pm »
 ::) Interesting...
Noted, it's on my pipeline. I will try in the future.
Helloportable.com

Offline jeaneallenn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 12:09:06 am »
I've never tried to make a buttered (butter) beer.  But if I was going to, I think this is the recipe I would follow.

https://youtu.be/ZlMhZvOX2ps

While watching this video, you do have to allow for certain things.  For example, he says to use a British ale for the recipe, and then you see him pouring in a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. ;D
??? ::) thats really interesting.
Helloportable.com

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 06:17:17 am »
Sounds like hot buttered rum ... but with beer. Could be tasty with the right base. I doubt Sierra Nevada PA would taste very good, but a Scotch ale or a malty English cask ale could be pleasant.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 08:58:47 am »
I am more interested in the double double beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk