Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Learn to Homebrew Amber  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Learn to Homebrew Amber
« on: October 09, 2020, 01:27:34 pm »
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/mad-jacks-hoppy-amber-ale/

10.75 lb Maris Otter malt

1 lb Munich malt

1 lb Caramel 80°L malt

0.5 lb Carapils malt

The all grain version uses an entire pound of crystal 80, does that seem like a lot to others also? Especially when you're including carapils.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Learn to Homebrew Amber
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 03:13:29 pm »
Not necessarily a lot.  It all depends on balance with the other ingredients.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 03:18:24 pm »
For 5 gallons

7 lb Amber dry malt extract

1 lb Munich malt

0.6 lb Caramel 80°L malt

0.5 lb Carapils malt

1 oz Centennial hops, 9.3% a.a (60 min)

0.5 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient (10 min)

1 oz Cascade hops, 6.5% a.a. (5 min)

1 oz Cascade hops, 6.5% a.a. (dry Hop)

(2) Safale S-04 yeast

Here's the full extract, it just doesn't seem like enough hops to offset all that crystal.

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 03:55:13 pm »
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/mad-jacks-hoppy-amber-ale/

The all grain version uses an entire pound of crystal 80, does that seem like a lot to others also? Especially when you're including carapils.

I'd say not - many amber recipes have 10%-ish, give or take, of crystal. Depends on what you like of course but malty with a fair amount sweetness and enough hops to give a balanced impression are hallmarks of the style - not cloying but definitely they CAN lean towards crystal sweet, though lots of folks like them drier and even sometimes add a just touch of dark malt to get there.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 03:58:12 pm by ravenwater »
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 05:11:13 pm »
2 posts today about amber ales. Lets hope this starts their renaissance!!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 05:47:40 pm »
+1. I like Ambers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 07:38:25 pm »
What does Carapils bring to the two recipes above? Extra body without flavor?

I never use carapils or carafoam. Should I be for beers like this one?

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 08:59:39 pm »
According to Briess:

Carapils adds body, mouthfeel and improves head retention by adding dextrines, proteins, non-starch polysaccharides, and other body-building compounds into your wort.

I've used at up to 5%, body and mouthfeel yes, but didn't get too much head retention. YMMV, that's me with my process.

Never used Carafoam myself, but it supposed to be similar except to add a tiny bit of sweetness. IDK.

Am currently trying a few batches using Chit Malt instead to enhance the foam retention. First up in an Irish Red. Not sure why, but Chit Malt is only available from Best or Castle Malting. If there are advantages, then why have other maltsters not created an equivalent. Or have they? Anyway, the only way to know is to make a few batches and judge for myself.
Roger

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 08:53:35 am »

True, I don't find many amber offerings at brewpubs - to me it's a throwback to my earlier days when craft beer was just becoming a thing and it seemed every brewery in Colorado seemed to have an amber as a standard offering, along with something yellow and light (usually a blonde), a stout, and an American pale. IPAs were not so common then. We're talking 1980's. I kegged an amber yesterday, first I've done in a while. Was inspired when I got to thinking how much I enjoy an amber that is a standard at a local spot - it's my go-to beer there. I wish more places had a simple and tasty amber on tap regularly.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 08:56:13 am by ravenwater »
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline JerseyJoe

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 02:17:59 pm »
Looking to start brewing Mad Jack's Amber Ale this weekend but was wondering whether it's really necessary for (2) Safale S-04 yeast, seems like an over kill and make the batch with yeasty overtones.. Could one packet and a yeast starter be sufficient.   

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 02:27:38 pm »
Looking to start brewing Mad Jack's Amber Ale this weekend but was wondering whether it's really necessary for (2) Safale S-04 yeast, seems like an over kill and make the batch with yeasty overtones.. Could one packet and a yeast starter be sufficient.   

In my experience, if the OG is under 1.070 one is fine.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 12:09:45 pm »

I'd say not - many amber recipes have 10%-ish, give or take, of crystal. Depends on what you like of course but malty with a fair amount sweetness and enough hops to give a balanced impression are hallmarks of the style - not cloying but definitely they CAN lean towards crystal sweet, though lots of folks like them drier and even sometimes add a just touch of dark malt to get there.
I'd go so far as to say that Crystal malt flavor is a distinguishing characteristic of Amber ales. And I think that many homebrewers are unnecessarily afraid of using too much Crystal malt. A well-attenuated, appropriately-hopped beer can handle a fair amount of crystal malt without ending up cloying.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 12:40:16 pm »

I'd go so far as to say that Crystal malt flavor is a distinguishing characteristic of Amber ales. And I think that many homebrewers are unnecessarily afraid of using too much Crystal malt. A well-attenuated, appropriately-hopped beer can handle a fair amount of crystal malt without ending up cloying.

AMEN!

www.dennybrew.com