Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: priming keg cause i cannot get co2  (Read 1165 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
priming keg cause i cannot get co2
« on: June 16, 2020, 06:39:09 am »
i normally get my co2 from the fire command and its the only place i can get c02 nearby but all this covid bs they are not open yet for some reason, but i keep around those little 16g cartridges for taking a mini keg to parties etc so i was planning on priming my keg with sugar and seal the lid with the little cartridges and hopefully in the meantime figure out where to get my tank filled, i am wondering whats a good dosing rate for keg priming, im thinking 3oz for a 5 gallon batch then seal it up should be fine right?
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: priming keg cause i cannot get co2
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 06:45:08 am »
BeerSmith recommendation:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 06:47:33 am »
sweet, thanks duder
Matty

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 07:05:57 am »
I naturally carb all (okay, almost all) my kegs.  I have a large enough stock that I have the time.

I generally use 1/3 cup of corn sugar in a 5 gallon keg.  It seems to work "about right" for the majority of the brews I usually keep around.

You will likely need to give each keg a shot of compressed CO2 to seal the lids though.  Any leaks will make the keg never seal up.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 08:19:13 am »
We talked about this on the podcast a few times.  Heard from a listener who did he used 3 oz. And it was a tad low.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 08:26:47 am »
i might just go a full 4oz then cause i can always bleed the keg down if needed
Matty

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 01:56:04 pm »
I naturally carb all (okay, almost all) my kegs.  I have a large enough stock that I have the time.

I generally use 1/3 cup of corn sugar in a 5 gallon keg.  It seems to work "about right" for the majority of the brews I usually keep around.

You will likely need to give each keg a shot of compressed CO2 to seal the lids though.  Any leaks will make the keg never seal up.

Paul
thank you for the tips, i started thinking that over carbing in the keg is better then under carbing, so just to see what happens gonna dose it a little higher, was gonna just throw the whole 4 oz but i compromised and gonna use 3.5 oz, this is all a learning experience, i do use a keg as a bottling bucket when i do bottle, i like that its a sealed vessel and the ability to push the beer with c02 rather then gravity to fill the bottles but for this topic i never carbed a keg that i'm also serving from with sugar so this is my first go
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 01:59:08 pm by MattyAHA »
Matty

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 05:58:55 pm »
I've been keg-priming lately to avoid going out more frequently for supplies, and to get around the purported/potential CO2 shortages. I have found that the BeerSmith calculator is pretty good, *if* you are filling up the keg completely. If you have a lot of headspace, things can go off the rails pretty quickly, and you'll end up undercarbed. I used 3 oz. on an American pale ale recently, and it ended up just about right. But...the keg was filled within an inch of the top.

When I do my calculations, I aim for the upper end of carbonation for the style, so that even if I have problems I should hopefully end up in the ballpark. I have (so far) found that about 10 days seems to be the right amount of time to hit full carbonation (sitting in a garage at about 72 degrees for the carbonation).
Facebook: Farke Brewing