Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tool for grooving stainless steel tubing?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Tool for grooving stainless steel tubing?
« on: February 15, 2021, 01:59:14 pm »
Does anyone know what the tool that is used to groove metal tubing for o-rings is called?  I look like a tubing cutter with a specialized wheel could do the job.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Tool for grooving stainless steel tubing?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 02:01:06 pm »
A lathe?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 02:05:10 pm »
I was was assuming that they were cut on a metal lathe (more likely a CNC center these days). I am hoping that there is a tool that works like a tubing cutter that will do the job.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 02:07:17 pm »
Maybe a flaring tool kit?  Like for making brake lines?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 02:11:39 pm »
Are you trying to replace something specific? You could use flare fittings and use a flaring tool.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Plumbing-Tools-Flaring-Swagging-Tools/N-5yc1vZ2fkojty

I don't know of anything else apart from a lathe.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 02:57:44 pm »
I was was assuming that they were cut on a metal lathe (more likely a CNC center these days). I am hoping that there is a tool that works like a tubing cutter that will do the job.

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 03:06:03 pm »
I would like to make a custom pickup tube for my SS Brewtech TC kettle.  It uses a push-in pickup tube like the old SS Brewtech kettle with weldless NPT fittings.  There are two grooves in the pickup tube that hold o-rings.  The o-rings provide friction fit between the outside of the tube and the inside of valve.  I may just sell the kettle and purchase a kettle with welded NPT couplings.  Creating a custom pickup tubes for NPT fittings is a piece of cake.  For example, I used a 3/8" NPT to 3/8" 37-degree flare fitting on my last kettle (a 1/2" ball valve on a 6.75-gallon kettle looks almost as comical as a 1.5" TC butterfly valve on a 10-gallon kettle).  I bent, cut, and flared a stainless steel pickup tube for that kettle using a Ridgid stainless steel tubing cutter, a Ridgid 37-degree flaring tool, and a Ridgid stainless steel tubing bender. NPT just makes more sense than TC when it comes to brewing kettles at the home brewing level.  A brewing kettle does not need to have sanitary fittings.  I will admit that TC has more bling, but it looks out of place on a 10-gallon kettle.

The pickup tube

The 100% custom kettle

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 03:08:16 pm by Saccharomyces »

narvin

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 05:41:10 pm »
You might be able to use a steel pipe cutter like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LENOX-2-625-in-Multipurpose-Pipe-Cutter/1003128496

I haven't used this one specifically, but I'd avoid cheaper ones with only two rollers because the cut never seems to line up after making a circle, even on plastic.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 09:29:33 pm »
There might be a maker space in your area where you can get a day pass.

It looks like you wouldn't care about rotating the pickup tube If you're using with a false bottom. In that case, you probably don't need the o rings at all. You should be able to get tubing with a fairly tight fit. In any case, the gap between the pickup tube and the valve would be smaller than the debris you're trying to keep out.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk