Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Brew Rig Advice and Filtering Suggestions  (Read 948 times)

Offline Christopher

• 1st Kit
New Brew Rig Advice and Filtering Suggestions
« on: June 16, 2020, 10:22:51 am »
Hello all.

I made a little brew cart for moving my equipment in and out of the house.  It was probably unnecessary as I'm only doing extract brew and don't need too much equipment.  But, it was fun to build. 

The idea is to try and whirlpool, but I don't have anything additional to help with that yet.  Also, I plan to have a continuous flow back into the kettle until an appropriate temperature, then disconnect one of the lines and divert the wort to a bucket.

Any suggestions?  Should I build a wand that would bring the wort back in at an angle, a couple inches below the wort line?  Should I use some kind of filtering to prevent hop bags and trub from leaving the kettle and passing the pump/chiller?  Dip tube, false bottom or some kind of bazooka screen?

I hope the link works!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6zvkkqTPgbT8SDQ7A

Thanks in advance.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: New Brew Rig Advice and Filtering Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 10:32:21 am »
Welcome to the forum!  It sounds like you are on the right track.  Is this for whirlpooling or to be used with an immersion wort chiller?  You can simply attach a piece of tubing (copper, stainless or silicone) for this purpose and simply aim it at circulating around the inside perimeter of the kettle.  For my recirc with the immersion chiller, I use a piece that has a slight crook in the end and send it along the chillers' coils beneath the surface of the wort.  But, I must tell you that with the Jaded immersion chiller, I don't need to recirc; I just move the chiller up and down in the cooling wort and it does the job pretty quickly.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"