Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best practices for crushing grain?  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Kel

• 1st Kit
Re: Best practices for crushing grain?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2020, 01:50:18 pm »
I found conditioning my grain made a big difference. Had to tighten the gap for efficiency but as far as keeping the husk in tact and getting a nice even crush it works well.

Seems to help some people but not others.  Did nothing for me.

I have a simple 2 roller mill and hand cranked it before and after I started conditioning. 2% of the grainbill as warm water sprayed on mist setting and well mixed in looked a better crush to dry. Had to tighten the roller gap to keep the same efficiency. I’m sure I have some pics (taken on a mobile so you probably can’t see the difference) but I’ll see if I still have them. Apart from the husks in better tact I would do this the day before brew day and keep the grains in a big Tupperware box overnight. The smell of them the next day when you move the grains about, smell was great.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2020, 02:16:31 pm »
I found conditioning my grain made a big difference. Had to tighten the gap for efficiency but as far as keeping the husk in tact and getting a nice even crush it works well.

I have a simple 2 roller mill and hand cranked it before and after I started conditioning. 2% of the grainbill as warm water sprayed on mist setting and well mixed in looked a better crush to dry. Had to tighten the roller gap to keep the same efficiency. I’m sure I have some pics (taken on a mobile so you probably can’t see the difference) but I’ll see if I still have them. Apart from the husks in better tact I would do this the day before brew day and keep the grains in a big Tupperware box overnight. The smell of them the next day when you move the grains about, smell was great.

But did it improve your brewing process or the beer, or just look better?  Tightening the gap to keep efficiency implies that  implies that your efficiency went down.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2020, 02:57:10 pm »

But did it improve your brewing process or the beer, or just look better?  Tightening the gap to keep efficiency implies that  implies that your efficiency went down.

I did it for the process, not that I was having problems sparging before but the husks looked more in tact after conditioning. Oh yes, it definitely hit my efficiency, had to tighten the gap to hit the same numbers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2020, 03:53:05 pm »

I did it for the process, not that I was having problems sparging before but the husks looked more in tact after conditioning. Oh yes, it definitely hit my efficiency, had to tighten the gap to hit the same numbers.

So it looks better but doesn't improve performance in either lautering or efficiency or make your beer taste any better?  I wrote a book about avoiding stuff like that!   ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2020, 10:32:08 pm »

So it looks better but doesn't improve performance in either lautering or efficiency or make your beer taste any better?  I wrote a book about avoiding stuff like that!   ;)

I’m starting to think I haven’t convinced you of it merits! Joking aside it was reading the following that made me give it a go http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Malt_Conditioning

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2020, 08:59:01 am »

I’m starting to think I haven’t convinced you of it merits! Joking aside it was reading the following that made me give it a go http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Malt_Conditioning

The merits of doing extra work for no benefits?  Yeah, it's gonna be tough to convince me of that!

www.dennybrew.com

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2020, 09:05:16 am »
What Denny does works on his system, cooler mash run with a braid.

I've been malt conditioning for my system with a false bottom, I really think it helps. For mashed in the coolers, 10 gallon and a 72 qt, I don't malt condition.

Then there is BIAB.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2020, 09:39:59 am »

I've been malt conditioning for my system with a false bottom, I really think it helps. For mashed in the coolers, 10 gallon and a 72 qt, I don't malt condition.

Then there is BIAB.

Yep, that's the point I'm getting at....conditioning is not a one size fits all, makes it better for everybody process. 

www.dennybrew.com

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2020, 05:12:08 pm »

Then there is BIAB.

Yep, that's the point I'm getting at....conditioning is not a one size fits all, makes it better for everybody process.

I forgot to mention, when I malt condz, less dust, less nasal obstruction and eye detritus the next day.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2020, 08:51:19 am »

Then there is BIAB.

I forgot to mention, when I malt condz, less dust, less nasal obstruction and eye detritus the next day.

Yes, it would help if a you had those issues.  Fortunately for me, I don't.

www.dennybrew.com