Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High alcohol dry yeast options  (Read 3519 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
High alcohol dry yeast options
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2020, 01:06:12 pm »
You seem to be assuming that the manufacturers test these things.  I can assure you that's often not the case.

Of course I cannot speak for the mfr, but my assumption is based on statements like this one: “In Lallemand’s Standard Conditions Wort...” X “yeast exhibits...” and it goes on to list characteristics of their products.

Likewise, the extensive results presented by Fermentis at AHA Homebrew Convention points to very detailed product analysis by the mfr.

If they didn’t perform test batches and taste panels they wouldn’t have a “Standard Conditions Wort” and wouldn’t be able to provide performance or flavor and aroma characteristics.

Are you suggesting they just guessed? ...and hope they got it right?  The information is far too detailed to simply be a guess. Besides, I’m not sure guessing would be a very viable business model for the long term.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 01:29:51 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: High alcohol dry yeast options
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2020, 01:44:22 pm »
You seem to be assuming that the manufacturers test these things.  I can assure you that's often not the case.

Of course I cannot speak for the mfr, but my assumption is based on statements like this one: “In Lallemand’s Standard Conditions Wort...” X “yeast exhibits...” and it goes on to list characteristics of their products.

Likewise, the extensive results presented by Fermentis at AHA Homebrew Convention points to very detailed product analysis by the mfr.

If they didn’t perform test batches and taste panels they wouldn’t have a “Standard Conditions Wort” and wouldn’t be able to provide performance or flavor and aroma characteristics.

Are you suggesting they just guessed? ...and hope they got it right?  The information is far too detailed to simply be a guess. Besides, I’m not sure guessing would be a very viable business model for the long term.

I know not all of them test everything to determine things like temp range.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 02:29:55 pm »

If I went by manufacturers recommended temps I probably would have quit brewing years ago. For most of the yeasts I've used over the years I get my best results outside (or at the very edge of) manufacturers recommended temps. I also routinely get better attenuation and higher ABV's than listed by the manufacturer. Those numbers are good for comparison between strains, but don't necessarily give the best picture of what happens in my brewhouse.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
High alcohol dry yeast options
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 02:33:47 pm »

I can’t account for all, but I assume the major players do extensive testing.

To satisfy myself, I shot Lallemand a note asking them to describe how they determine temp range and aroma/flavor characteristics. Here’s their reply:

“We ferment a standard beer wort at a range of temperatures in EBC-tubes in our lab. The optimal range is determined based on fermentation kinetics and sensory analysis.

Flavor and aroma analysis is done by GC and HPLC to measure the concentration of specific flavor compounds. We also validate flavor and aroma using a trained sensory panel, since the actual perception of a flavor is often different from what the chemical analysis would suggest.”

Doesn’t sound like a lot of guesswork to me.  It sounds like a very professional mfr trying to enable it’s customers to be successful thru testing resulting in a recommendation.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 02:45:31 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2020, 02:45:14 pm »

If I went by manufacturers recommended temps I probably would have quit brewing years ago. For most of the yeasts I've used over the years I get my best results outside (or at the very edge of) manufacturers recommended temps. I also routinely get better attenuation and higher ABV's than listed by the manufacturer. Those numbers are good for comparison between strains, but don't necessarily give the best picture of what happens in my brewhouse.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Agreed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell