Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling from keg issue  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Bottling from keg issue
« on: June 20, 2020, 07:06:04 am »
I was using the glass tube and rubber stopper method.  I turned down the keg pressure and then partially depressurized the keg. The first bottle filled very slowly, but then the flow of beer stalled on the next one.  I turned up the keg pressure to the original 14 lbs and still no beer is flowing.  Advice please.

I did not shake the keg though because I have a recent back injury and did not want to lift it in and out of the fridge.

Thanks in advance for your help.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Bottling from keg issue
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 08:00:30 am »
Did you crack the stopper to relieve back pressure?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 10:01:37 am »
I'm think I did, but I'm not 100% positive?
Thanks
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Mitch Leppicello

• 1st Kit
Re: Bottling from keg process
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 02:41:30 pm »
Does anyone have a DIY version of bottling from the keg? I can put beer in bottles for guests or parties (when we did that!). What I need is a process that keeps beer in bottles or a growler for months without going bad. Thanks!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 06:00:27 pm »
Does anyone have a DIY version of bottling from the keg? I can put beer in bottles for guests or parties (when we did that!). What I need is a process that keeps beer in bottles or a growler for months without going bad. Thanks!

You need a counter pressure bottle filler or a beer gun. You must purge the bottle with Co2. Will it stay fresh for months? Maybe if kept very cold.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 08:29:10 am »
I use a Beergun.  It is a quick and easy way to fill bottles.  I used to have a counter pressure filler, but always had problems with getting things set just right so the bottles didn't foam over when filling.  The Beergun will allow you to purge the bottles with CO2 but because of the mising of gases (Dalton's Law) you won't get all of the O2 out.  You will get most of it though, especially if you cap on foam.  Add an O2 absorbing cap and that will help reduce staling.

Yes the Beergun is more expensive than making a counter pressure filler, but will save you a lot of time and aggravation in both construction and use, IMHO.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline joshinglis95

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 01:30:28 am »
The best method I've found is to get your bottles as cold as the keg, turn the pressure down to about 3 to 4 psi, clear the pressure from the keg, let that 3 to 4 build up, fill the bottle slowly to prevent any foaming, cap it immediately. I've never had any problems with carbonation loss using this method.

Offline HerrodsBrew

• 1st Kit
  • RDWHAHB
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 08:30:48 am »
The best method I've found is to get your bottles as cold as the keg, turn the pressure down to about 3 to 4 psi, clear the pressure from the keg, let that 3 to 4 build up, fill the bottle slowly to prevent any foaming, cap it immediately. I've never had any problems with carbonation loss using this method.
I feel like you should be capping on foam though, no?
If I can drink it then I am a successful homebrewer.

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 07:31:00 am »

There a lot in forums, homebrew talk have one if I recall, but from what I read the best one is to buy a beergun, aleast for me, I want to force carbonation then bottle all the keg, I'm not doing this now but it a plan