Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1.020  (Read 2323 times)

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: 1.020
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 05:03:51 pm »
It's a recipe I've made more than any other, my flagship IPA that I've made for over a decade.

How would beta amylase concentration explain this?  I once heard a very good pro-brewer state that conversion is nearly instantaneous for all practical purposes; which led me to think that there are other flavor contributions from one-hour or more mash rests.

Different maltster's malts
Different growing year of malt
Different enzyme levels remaining

All that was said was Maris Otter, German Munich.  Many maltsters make a "maris otter" and every german maltstser makes "german munich".

In addition, being an agricultural product, things vary season by season and the maltsters job is to produce a "same flavor profile" malt, and provide us the specs.  It's our job to review the specs and adjust the brewing process for the malt.

At least, that's how I look at it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 08:14:44 am »
It's a recipe I've made more than any other, my flagship IPA that I've made for over a decade.

How would beta amylase concentration explain this?  I once heard a very good pro-brewer state that conversion is nearly instantaneous for all practical purposes; which led me to think that there are other flavor contributions from one-hour or more mash rests.

Different maltster's malts
Different growing year of malt
Different enzyme levels remaining

All that was said was Maris Otter, German Munich.  Many maltsters make a "maris otter" and every german maltstser makes "german munich".

In addition, being an agricultural product, things vary season by season and the maltsters job is to produce a "same flavor profile" malt, and provide us the specs.  It's our job to review the specs and adjust the brewing process for the malt.

At least, that's how I look at it.

FWIW, I couldn't agree more.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 08:49:39 am »

That pro brewer was not correct. There are some instances in which it is true, but as an unqualified statement it's incorrect and can lead to many huge errors at the homebrew level.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson