Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian breweries low oxygen?  (Read 7577 times)

narvin

Re: Belgian breweries low oxygen?
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2020, 06:38:46 pm »
I think it depends again on the size and type of the brewery.  Trappists are probably the least likely to change their process (and also share it with the brewing world) but I saw some modern German brewing systems when I was there.  Bavik/De Brabanderie and Trolls(Busch) come to mind.  Of course I also saw a 100 year old iron mash filter at a smallerbrewery.

Chimay, Westmalle, Westvleteren, Achel, etc. all have pretty darn state of the art stainless steel systems with either formally trained monks or lay brewers at the helm. I’m not saying anything about low oxygen, just merely that they are way more modern than most people credit them for.

I'm not going to disagree, De Clerk was one of the brewing science pioneers and influenced all of the Trappists and their lay brewers with modern techniques many years ago.  They do, however, test things before changes because they do value the historical character of the beer.  Obviously, this varies from one to the other, as you know, and some (Chimay) are more willing to make cost cutting changes.

I guess the point is, there IS copper in some trappist brewing systems, as well as a reservation by some to move to high pressure tall cylindroconical tanks.  But I was by no means saying they aren't modern.

Big Monk

Re: Belgian breweries low oxygen?
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2020, 09:07:06 pm »
I think it depends again on the size and type of the brewery.  Trappists are probably the least likely to change their process (and also share it with the brewing world) but I saw some modern German brewing systems when I was there.  Bavik/De Brabanderie and Trolls(Busch) come to mind.  Of course I also saw a 100 year old iron mash filter at a smallerbrewery.

Chimay, Westmalle, Westvleteren, Achel, etc. all have pretty darn state of the art stainless steel systems with either formally trained monks or lay brewers at the helm. I’m not saying anything about low oxygen, just merely that they are way more modern than most people credit them for.

I'm not going to disagree, De Clerk was one of the brewing science pioneers and influenced all of the Trappists and their lay brewers with modern techniques many years ago.  They do, however, test things before changes because they do value the historical character of the beer.  Obviously, this varies from one to the other, as you know, and some (Chimay) are more willing to make cost cutting changes.

I guess the point is, there IS copper in some trappist brewing systems, as well as a reservation by some to move to high pressure tall cylindroconical tanks.  But I was by no means saying they aren't modern.

Oh for sure. I wasn’t disagreeing with you at all.