Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kveik questions  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Joshua Hughes

• 1st Kit
Kveik questions
« on: June 19, 2020, 11:30:40 am »

I’ve done 4 brews with Kveik but have questions to branch out a little. I have Voss and I keep the slurry to reuse. I am still waiting on bottle conditioning for 2 of them, one is in the fermenter, the only one I’ve had was my IPA with I loved.  I read every post on Kveik I could find.
1. Even though this is rated 77-104 f can I ferment lower at room temp? Effects on speed and flavor?
2. I have over pitched every brew with this, is that why I have chucks?
3. Do I need to worry much about the citrus type flavors clashing with hops such as Goldings and the German type hops?
4. How many times do you use the same slurry? 3 times?
5. How low abv can I go and not need nutrients? I’d like to turn out some 3.5-4% lawnmowers.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Kveik questions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 12:13:15 pm »
so, most of the info Im going to give you is anecdotal or stuff I have heard, so take it with a grain of salt
1) it ferments at lower temps, just much slower
2)I dont know what Chucks is
3)Taste is very subjective. Citrus is a lovely flavor, and goldings are delicious hops. If you like the flavor, it doesnt clash. I dont think Voss is over the top estery anyways
4) I dont know if voss is a top crop or bottom cropper, but let tastes and fermentation answer this question. If you arent seeing a change, then its probably ok, farmhouse brewers have been repitching this stuff for centuries
5) I hear under 1.050 you should probably add nutrients, particularly with higher temp ferments.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 02:57:09 pm by Cliffs »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 01:58:49 pm »
A lot of Kveik information coming in from all over.  I have heard that higher temps are preferred (lower temps can adversely affect the outcome) and that from a slurry, a 5 gallon batch only needs a tablespoon of yeast at most.

My two trials with Kveik left me unsatisfied and I am sure that I overpitched (the whole tube in 5 gallons) and I fermented too cold (low 60's), but I have tried Kveik based beers made by others that turned out well (one was a barleywine that finished and was bottled within the week, if you can believe it).

Chunks or other sediment descriptor is possible, given how fast these yeast strains work and floc out.

To top crop it, you probably have to be quick about it - they finish in as little as 36 hours.

I always add yeast nutrient, so I would add it here, especially under 1.050 OG.

YMMV, of course.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 08:17:27 am »
If you have registered for Homebrewcon (online this year), there is a presentation at 3pm Mountain time on "The Wonderful World of Kveik" by Chris Saunders of Escarpment Labs. Some of your questions might be answered in the presentation. You can also ask some of the questions before or during the presentation.

Looking at his presentation, he does cover using kveik (including nutrients), harvesting, storing, and drying.

I don't know the specifics (that's why I'm not trying to answer any of your questions) but hope to learn more about kveik from this presentation.

Also, Lars Marius Garshol's book "Historical Brewing Techniques" is a wealth of knowledge. Highly recommended.

Ralph R.