Author Topic: Label glue in your starsan  (Read 401 times)

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
Label glue in your starsan
« on: June 24, 2020, 05:41:58 am »
So I did a while lot of bottling tonight in 25galling bucket I filled with starsan and let my 750s sir in it for at least 20min and noticed a bit on a haze in the starsan when completed and a couple labels fell off. They pretty much all had there labels on them. Do you guys worry about the glue in the water? I did about 6 single gallons batches equalling about 25 750s.
Thanks for the help

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Label glue in your starsan
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 10:42:09 am »
It’s not ideal, but it’s done, so don’t worry about it now.  I always presoaked in one bucket then rinsed and sanitized in a final bucket.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 12:17:46 pm »
Back in the day, I used to remove all the labels from my bottles before even considering them for beer.  Then I would sanitize them just prior to filling.  I’m guessing the glue is “food grade” and probably won’t cause harm.  But may alter the taste and/or clarity.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 06:51:10 am »
It’s not ideal, but it’s done, so don’t worry about it now.  I always presoaked in one bucket then rinsed and sanitized in a final bucket.
That's a good idea

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 11:41:18 am »
When I collect enough bottles to remove labels I soak them in Oxi-clean then give them a good washing. At bottling time I don't soak the entire bottle in starsan. I use a sprayer bottle I bought at a farm and home store and spray 5-6 squirts into the bottle and roll it a bit turned on it's side. Let it sit upright until bottling then dump out starsan. I have been doing this for years and never had a problem. I figure no need to sanitize the outside of the bottle. I end up using about a quart of sanitizer.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:51:27 am by scrap iron »
Mike F.                                                                               "I am what I am and that's all that I am" Popeye the sailor