Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do You Take Pepcid (famitodine) for reflux  (Read 7230 times)

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
Re: Do You Take Pepcid (famitodine) for reflux
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 11:05:21 am »
seriously guys, pharmaceuticals only mask your symptoms, they do not cure in any way whatsoever.

That's kind of a ridiculous generalization.  And in this specific case, if you are prescribed an acid reducer for a reason it can prevent further damage to your esophagus.
Exactly. Without treatment, increased acid in the esophagus leads to Barrett's Esophagus, which in turn leads to esophageal cancer. Medication doesn't mask symptoms, it controls/relieves them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Incorrect, only 1 out of 800 lead to esophageal cancer.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 11:07:25 am »
a chiropractor can actually adjust your diaphragm which in turns helps your sphincter adjust and function properly.

its not a rediculous generalization... name me one pharma product that actually cured someone? What do you think 'control/relieves' is? its masking the symptoms. it doesn't actually take care of the root cause. but you're right, if you don't take care of the acid getting to far up the pipe, you're going to eventually have bigger issues.
I have never heard of this chiropractic cure in my life and I belong to several forum groups about Barrett's, have you heard of someone that did this?

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 11:11:25 am »
I used to have a real issue with acid reflux. Sometimes during the day, but especially at night and my teeth and gums were affected. Omeprazole (Prilosec) was an easy remedy but I think it shuts down natural digestive processes. To be honest, and for me specifically, diet made a the largest different. Cutting out most refined sugars and few other problem ingredients when I have awareness was huge.  These days, I don't touch Prilosec at all and when I sense I'm having a bad day after a trouble meal, I just drink a little diluted apple cider vinegar to adjust my stomach pH in the right direction (and brush my teeth!).
Yes Prilosec is bad news I took it for 2 months after I was diagnosed and learned more about it and quit it, my GI Dr. Wouldn't see me anymore unless I want taking it so I had to find another one. I've heard of others doing the vinegar I'll have to give it a try.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 01:48:57 pm »
a chiropractor can actually adjust your diaphragm which in turns helps your sphincter adjust and function properly.

its not a rediculous generalization... name me one pharma product that actually cured someone? What do you think 'control/relieves' is? its masking the symptoms. it doesn't actually take care of the root cause. but you're right, if you don't take care of the acid getting to far up the pipe, you're going to eventually have bigger issues.
I have never heard of this chiropractic cure in my life and I belong to several forum groups about Barrett's, have you heard of someone that did this?
my chiropractor does it to me periodically and has several other patients he performs on as well.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:36:19 pm by dbeechum »
Phoenix, AZ

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 09:28:55 pm »
Couple weeks old on this thread, but I suffered from daily heartburn and reflux for years. Ranitidine was the miracle cure for me and I popped them like adult mints when I knew I should have just changed my diet.  I've been on a keto based diet for a little over 5 months now and removing refined sugars, and all the starchy carbs like bread, rice, pasta, etc has reduced my occurrence to only rarely having issues. I stopped taking the ranitidine when I heard about the possible cancer link and have a bottle of ACVinegar for any time where I feel discomfort.
Unfortunately,  the kero lifestyle has all but eliminated beer from my diet, but i am happy to be free from heartburn and heartburn meds for sure

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 07:47:23 am »
I had terrible heartburn for years.  I took all kinds of stuff and finally found that Pepcid AC did the best job of mitigating it.  What finally got rid of it completely was quitting my job.  It's the remedy I recommend.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 10:27:14 am »
Drinking right before bed relaxes your esophagus and cause the acid to come back up at night. Cutting back alcohol intake drastically reduces the need for medication, especially alcohol intake right before bedtime.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2020, 06:46:09 am »
Drinking right before bed relaxes your esophagus and cause the acid to come back up at night. Cutting back alcohol intake drastically reduces the need for medication, especially alcohol intake right before bedtime.

100% fact
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2020, 07:48:43 am »
Well, it may very well be true, but on the other hand I was in Saudi Arabia where no alcohol was available and had terrible heartburn and reflux. Prilosec is a wonder drug IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 07:50:57 am »
Well, it may very well be true, but on the other hand I was in Saudi Arabia where no alcohol was available and had terrible heartburn and reflux. Prilosec is a wonder drug IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2020, 03:03:20 pm »
I had terrible heartburn for years.  I took all kinds of stuff and finally found that Pepcid AC did the best job of mitigating it.  What finally got rid of it completely was quitting my job.  It's the remedy I recommend.

Very similar experience here, terrible heartburn and up all night!!
I finally divorced that &%$@#!

Now I"m experiencing hemorrhoids from my second wife but that's another thread!!