Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Label glue in your starsan  (Read 706 times)

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
Label glue in your starsan
« on: June 23, 2020, 11:41:58 pm »
So I did a while lot of bottling tonight in 25galling bucket I filled with starsan and let my 750s sir in it for at least 20min and noticed a bit on a haze in the starsan when completed and a couple labels fell off. They pretty much all had there labels on them. Do you guys worry about the glue in the water? I did about 6 single gallons batches equalling about 25 750s.
Thanks for the help

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Label glue in your starsan
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 04:42:09 am »
It’s not ideal, but it’s done, so don’t worry about it now.  I always presoaked in one bucket then rinsed and sanitized in a final bucket.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 06:17:46 am »
Back in the day, I used to remove all the labels from my bottles before even considering them for beer.  Then I would sanitize them just prior to filling.  I’m guessing the glue is “food grade” and probably won’t cause harm.  But may alter the taste and/or clarity.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 12:51:10 am »
It’s not ideal, but it’s done, so don’t worry about it now.  I always presoaked in one bucket then rinsed and sanitized in a final bucket.
That's a good idea

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 05:41:18 am »
When I collect enough bottles to remove labels I soak them in Oxi-clean then give them a good washing. At bottling time I don't soak the entire bottle in starsan. I use a sprayer bottle I bought at a farm and home store and spray 5-6 squirts into the bottle and roll it a bit turned on it's side. Let it sit upright until bottling then dump out starsan. I have been doing this for years and never had a problem. I figure no need to sanitize the outside of the bottle. I end up using about a quart of sanitizer.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 05:51:27 am by scrap iron »
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln