Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blow off jug empty  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Brian

• 1st Kit
Blow off jug empty
« on: June 23, 2020, 12:49:38 pm »
I use a .5 inch hose coming out of the top of my Ss Brewtech Brew Bucket. It runs into a sanitized growler filled about 3/4 of the way up with starsan.

A couple months ago I noticed one batch had sucked about half the sani fluid into the fermenter. I talked it over with my brew club and we hypothesized it had to do with a temperature change.

Fast forward to today and I just noticed the ENTIRE volume of sani fluid has been sucked into the fermenter this time. Has anyone had this issue? Any ideas how to fix it?

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
Re: Blow off jug empty
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 12:52:44 pm »
if temps drop rapidly it creates a vacuum and sucks airlock liquid back into the fermenter, another possibility is the airlock dried out, i have had that happen to me before both scenarios
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 01:40:29 pm »
What I do with my conical is seal it and add CO2 pressure before crashing.  Can you do something like that?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 02:19:36 pm »
I've seen the vacuum gig myself.  It's rare but it happens.  I have a line running from airlock-to-keg-to-blowoff-bucket and sometimes the sanitizer in the bucket ends up in the keg.  Freaks me out every time.  ;)
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 02:29:35 pm »
i just lower temps slow, if its not a sealed up system it will happen if you crash too rapidly, i dont care about getting star san in my beer as much as i do getting air in, the air is more harmful then the star san, in a perfect situation you should get neither in, so either crash slowly or like denny said crash in a sealed vessel(conical,keg etc etc)
Matty

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 03:27:50 pm »
Like everyone else, I'm assuming your cold crashing but could you tell us where in the process this is? Or is it just in an area and that changes a lot?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 06:23:40 am »
Also, where is the growler located in relation to the conical?  If it’s higher, than I’m wondering if temperature draws star-san back just enough to start a siphon. After that, game over.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Brian

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 02:27:38 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

This isn't happening during cold crashing. It happens at a random time during fermentation. I did realize while reading people's comments that my AC is set to drop 2 degrees in the evening. I have been watching the temps closely and I think the temp drops probably 2 to 5 degrees overnight. Maybe that's enough to create a vaccuum. Sounds like it's time to invest in some jackets for my brew buckets!

Offline jrobe

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 08:28:48 pm »
I got burned with this once while cooling down my SS Brewbucket late in fermentation.  I haven't heard of this before though without lowering the temperature by more than just a few degrees.  Look up "cold crash suck back" and you will see lots of information and many different possible solutions including balloons to capture CO2 and this solution.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=30363.0

I eliminated this myself when I started using a temperature controlled fermentation chamber with a mini refrigerator that holds the SS Brewbucket and an Inkbird temperature controller to maintain a stable fermentation temperature.  Then I transfer the beer to my kegs before I cool it down to serving temperatures.

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 06:50:29 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

This isn't happening during cold crashing. It happens at a random time during fermentation. I did realize while reading people's comments that my AC is set to drop 2 degrees in the evening. I have been watching the temps closely and I think the temp drops probably 2 to 5 degrees overnight. Maybe that's enough to create a vaccuum. Sounds like it's time to invest in some jackets for my brew buckets!
it can happen anytime the temp drops too rapidly, it can be during primary,secondary,crashing anytime the temp drops and you are not in a sealed vessel
Matty