Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wildfires  (Read 1319 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Wildfires
« on: September 11, 2020, 07:48:26 am »
Denny not sure where you are in relation to wildfires and not sure how many others are in the area. ...but stay safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 07:55:42 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Wildfires
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 08:02:39 am »
We ended up OK, but Tues. and Wed. were pretty tense.  We had bags packed and pets (2 dogs, 5 cats) ready to go at a moment's notice. Fortunately the winds died down and we're still here.  They shut off our power for a couple days to prevent fire, but we're used to being without power for a while so we were prepared for that.  Smoke has been so thick that it looked like night at noon, but it's getting better.  Air quality is so be you can't be put for more than a couple minutes at a time.

But we made it, unlike so many a bit east of us.  Fires are still raging there.  So many have lost their homes.  Their has been loss of life, but no one knows how many yet.  My heart goes out to them.  There has been a flood of donations to evacuation centers. It's a reminder that good people who care about others are still out there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 11:21:34 am »
Smoke has been so thick that it looked like night at noon, but it's getting better.  Air quality is so be you can't be put for more than a couple minutes at a time.

I'm in the Bay Area and out of immediate fire danger, but we have had bad air for 3 weeks, and really spooky skies. I am starting to think things like "When life gives you smoke, make Rauchbier".
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 01:35:46 pm »
Stay safe, I've been thinking about you! The reports we are hearing about the fires are not exactly positive. Here's hoping they are extinguished soon without any further loss of life.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 02:16:44 pm »
Stay safe, I've been thinking about you! The reports we are hearing about the fires are not exactly positive. Here's hoping they are extinguished soon without any further loss of life.

I doubt it will be soon.  We'll be lucky if they're out in a month.  Right now containme t iis the voal to keep them from spreading, and they're a long way from that.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 11:47:42 pm »
I've got one parked about 8-9 miles from here and boy is that one a doozie. Everything's ash, smoke and weird gloomy emo apocalypse. Also, hell for breathing.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 03:07:56 pm »
I've got one parked about 8-9 miles from here and boy is that one a doozie. Everything's ash, smoke and weird gloomy emo apocalypse. Also, hell for breathing.

I was wondering how you were doing over in Pasadena.  I'm about 10 miles west of you, and it's not very pleasant even out here.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 09:57:59 am »
woke up to ash everywhere like it had snowed. The air is an odd yellow and grey color. When I can see the sun, it is a pale red dot. Not good at all. In the past couple years my wife and I have looked at 3 houses to potentially buy. We didnt pull the trigger on any of them, and they have all burned in these fires.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 11:54:50 am »
Yesterday afternoon the smoke pretty much blew out and it was still not bad this AM.  Imm the last couple hours the wind has shifted and it's getting bad again.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 12:05:19 pm »
Damn, everyone who is in the proximity of these wild fires, my prayers to you
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 03:35:25 pm »
I can’t imagine what it’s like out there. It is beautiful in New England today but the sky is actually not the brilliant blue it should be because of the smoke that has made its way all the way across the continent.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 06:28:33 pm »
I can’t imagine what it’s like out there. It is beautiful in New England today but the sky is actually not the brilliant blue it should be because of the smoke that has made its way all the way across the continent.

teh fallout is just beginning. Now the insurance companies are dropping people off their coverage. The implications for whats going on are going to be felt far and wide.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 08:50:09 am »

teh fallout is just beginning. Now the insurance companies are dropping people off their coverage. The implications for whats going on are going to be felt far and wide.

I heard they weren't dropping anyone, but they weren't taking any new policies.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 09:06:15 am »

I heard they weren't dropping anyone, but they weren't taking any new policies.
around me they are cancelling policies, but they have to give a one year notice.