Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: kveik impressions  (Read 12742 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
Re: kveik impressions
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 01:21:46 pm »
how fast does hops drop off in flavor/aroma if you expose the beer to a little o2 during say opening keg and adding dry hops? i am still tryng to tweak my methods and of coarse minimize o2 but in my case kegs last a few days around here probably not a real concern for my situation

Ya know what?  I do what I can and don't worry about the rest.  Sure, I want to make the best beer I can, but within the constraints of it being a hobby I want to enjoy.  If you're stressing over something, you're doing it wrong.  For me, enjoyment of the process is primary.  Beer itself takes a back seat to that.
dude i totally agree, i been trying to live by that and i am, still shaking off the bs i built up in my head and for the most part i am doing ok..getting there
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2020, 02:20:39 pm »
how fast does hops drop off in flavor/aroma if you expose the beer to a little o2 during say opening keg and adding dry hops? i am still tryng to tweak my methods and of coarse minimize o2 but in my case kegs last a few days around here probably not a real concern for my situation

you're probably ok then. I noticed hop flavor degredation after 3 or 4 weeks with my hoppy beers I made with Kveik. 

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 02:21:18 pm »
This is why I wanted to go to HomebrewCon and taste all these beers. I've been hearing funny things and others rave. I don't care about turning a beer around in two days. I want to know is it actually going to make a product I want to drink.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 02:30:09 pm »

you're probably ok then. I noticed hop flavor degredation after 3 or 4 weeks with my hoppy beers I made with Kveik.
cool thank you for the input, beers hardly ever last that long round here so thats good for me. cheers
Matty

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 02:35:45 pm »
This is why I wanted to go to HomebrewCon and taste all these beers. I've been hearing funny things and others rave. I don't care about turning a beer around in two days. I want to know is it actually going to make a product I want to drink.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
i hear ya, i have very limited experience with kveik but i'd rather take a beer that took 2 weeks that is awesome vs a beer that took 2 days and is so so, but i do recommend everyone try kveik just for the sheer nuttiness of it, the stuff RIPS through wort and if you dont blink its pretty cool to see, my airlock was like a machine gun
Matty

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 03:30:41 pm »
I've been brewed with Hornindal, Hothead, Voss (Omega), and Oslo over the past two years. I don't love Voss, but Hornindal has worked great for me. Oslo has been fine.

Great Beers
  • Hibiscus ginger farmhouse (Hornindal at 75 & 95F, both great. Yeast character a bit more subdued at 75F.)
  • Various IPAs (75F-95F)
  • Blonde Ale (Oslo @ 75F)

Terrible beers
  • IPAs where I've dry hopped too early (Fast fermentation scrubbed hop aroma.)(
  • Blonde (Oslo @ 67F)

My last batch was split with Omega 114 Bayern Lager and Bootleg Oslo, and the difference is very drastic. The Oslo beer is a nice little blonde ale, and the Bayern lager beer is distinctly a lager. Anyone know of a commercial brewery that distributes a kveik lager to Central IL?

Kveik is good for:
  • Farmhouse ales if you can keep temps high and don't like some Belgian strains
  • Hoppy beers if you can't keep temps under 80
  • Lighter ales if you can keep temps between 72-80

Kveik is not good for:
  • Traditional lagers
  • Making ales if you need to use a heater to get your beer above 72F

Just my opinions after a 15-20 batches with kveik. I think there's a bit too much marketing in kveik, I don't think it's a magic bullet. Everyone has their preferences. The temp requirements for kveik are a bit onerous depending on what you're going for.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2020, 08:45:49 pm »
Just my opinions after a 15-20 batches with kveik. I think there's a bit too much marketing in kveik, I don't think it's a magic bullet. Everyone has their preferences. The temp requirements for kveik are a bit onerous depending on what you're going for.

Is anybody actually making this claim? I know a lot of brewers are mashing kveik into every style but that is less about any yeast lab pitching it as a magic bullet and more brewers trying to put something new to work and in the case of commercial breweries finding something new to sell for those who constantly have to drink something new. It's like the year (2011? 2012?) when Belgian yeast went into everything. It came and went.

Kveik offers something new and interesting the brew with and might be a real help to people who don't have cooler brewing spaces and don't want to brew with highly expressive yeast. Once the fad aspect wears off it will settle in to being a tool for a relatively small number of beers and another fringe IPA style.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2020, 10:51:09 am »

Is anybody actually making this claim? I know a lot of brewers are mashing kveik into every style but that is less about any yeast lab pitching it as a magic bullet and more brewers trying to put something new to work and in the case of commercial breweries finding something new to sell for those who constantly have to drink something new. It's like the year (2011? 2012?) when Belgian yeast went into everything. It came and went.

Kveik offers something new and interesting the brew with and might be a real help to people who don't have cooler brewing spaces and don't want to brew with highly expressive yeast. Once the fad aspect wears off it will settle in to being a tool for a relatively small number of beers and another fringe IPA style.
Escarpment and Bootleg claim "lager like" regardless of temperature. Quite a few Homebrewers say something like, "You can basically make a lager without any temp control." And saying "lager like" isn't the same as choosing you can make a lager with it is a lawyers response. You could make the better comparison of Cal ale but at any temperature, but that's not nearly as enticing.

https://bootlegbiology.com/product/oslo/

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline madchemist83

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 01:50:47 am »
Good morning.

I plan on my first kveik

Rye-kveik

Recipe specifics:

Style: Saison
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 5.0 gal
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.016
Bitterness (IBU): 33.9
Color (SRM): 7.6
ABV: 6.2%

Grain/Sugars:

4.00 lb Rye Amber LME, 44.4%
3.00 lb Wheat DME, 33.3%
2.00 lb Corn Sugar, 22.2%

Hops:

1.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.6%, Pellet) 60 min, 22.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.6%, Pellet) 15 min, 11.3 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.6%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU

-----

Does that look okay ? Also got some Simcoe but don't want to bitter too much.

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 10:11:50 am »
Gonna tell my experiences with kveik so far, love the idea of now temp control, not for me but for some of my friend get into the homebrew scene, and made 2 beers with kveik, one gose, was fantastic one the best beer for a hot day of summer, live on a country where the season are divided into rainy and hot and sunny and hot, the gose was fermented in the 88 F, now I did one dark saison, please belgian beer lovers don't scorch me, I don't like work with diatasticus, the beer is really unique there a lot of orange, in a good way, there a little spices and the malt give a good backbone, best of all 11 days grain to glass, fermentation in the temp of 82 F. Another thing I like about the kveik is the fast priming, in 1 week the beer are fulled carbonated, I know this is not a thing everyone care but for me is a plus.

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 10:13:41 am »
Good morning.

I plan on my first kveik

Rye-kveik

Recipe specifics:

Style: Saison
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 5.0 gal
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.016
Bitterness (IBU): 33.9
Color (SRM): 7.6
ABV: 6.2%

Grain/Sugars:

4.00 lb Rye Amber LME, 44.4%
3.00 lb Wheat DME, 33.3%
2.00 lb Corn Sugar, 22.2%

Hops:

1.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.6%, Pellet) 60 min, 22.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.6%, Pellet) 15 min, 11.3 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.6%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU

-----

Does that look okay ? Also got some Simcoe but don't want to bitter too much.

Mad this recipe is a good one, the only thing I wouldn't do is the amarillo, because I had bad experiences with, and depend on which kveik strain you gonna use the citric and orange gonna be overwhelming. Cheers good brewing

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2020, 10:20:54 am »
Gonna tell my experiences with kveik so far, love the idea of now temp control, not for me but for some of my friend get into the homebrew scene, and made 2 beers with kveik, one gose, was fantastic one the best beer for a hot day of summer, live on a country where the season are divided into rainy and hot and sunny and hot, the gose was fermented in the 88 F, now I did one dark saison, please belgian beer lovers don't scorch me, I don't like work with diatasticus, the beer is really unique there a lot of orange, in a good way, there a little spices and the malt give a good backbone, best of all 11 days grain to glass, fermentation in the temp of 82 F. Another thing I like about the kveik is the fast priming, in 1 week the beer are fulled carbonated, I know this is not a thing everyone care but for me is a plus.

orange flavor comes through for me in alot of the kveik out there. I think alot of Kveik plays well with malt flavors as well. There seems to be a big focus on using kveik for hoppy beers, but the more I use it the more I feel it is better for malt focused beers.

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 10:25:06 am »

orange flavor comes through for me in alot of the kveik out there. I think alot of Kveik plays well with malt flavors as well. There seems to be a big focus on using kveik for hoppy beers, but the more I use it the more I feel it is better for malt focused beers.

Cliffs I think you're right, but I didn't yet try a hop beer with kveik, but only tried the hornidall and voss strain, there other I would like to try

Offline Joshua Hughes

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2020, 10:30:10 am »
I only make small batches 1-1.5 gallons. I have been keeping a brew with 04 or 05 which is taking 2 weeks and doing 1-2 Kveik brews at the same time.  It takes half as long to finish which is cool during COVID when ive only drank what i've made since April. I made a "pilsner" with Kveik. It was quite clean and Lagerish to my palate. Enough that my more sophisticated buddy loved it and he is a European Lager guy. Expect no miracles and its great.  I pitch at 90 and have it sit on a warmer that keeps it in the 80's. No worries is nice. Not tried it pitching at 90 and letting it go without heat but plan to.  Its another cool tool and a good one for a home brewer who does small batches.  Lower pitch rate is cheap. Save the slurry and pitch a tsp for a batch and let it go. I used dry Voss and slurry from it for a few brews. 

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2020, 10:36:06 am »
"Expect no miracles" that's for sure. Its cool to get peoples opinions on kveik but i'm in the "i can't stand kveik camp" one more brew using it and thats it, wanna see what happens when you keep it cooler like mid 70's
Matty