Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: kveik impressions  (Read 12725 times)

Offline madchemist83

• 1st Kit
Re: kveik impressions
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2020, 02:05:35 pm »
Good morning.

I plan on my first kveik

Rye-kveik

Recipe specifics:

Style: Saison
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 5.0 gal
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.016
Bitterness (IBU): 33.9
Color (SRM): 7.6
ABV: 6.2%

Grain/Sugars:

4.00 lb Rye Amber LME, 44.4%
3.00 lb Wheat DME, 33.3%
2.00 lb Corn Sugar, 22.2%

Hops:

1.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.6%, Pellet) 60 min, 22.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.6%, Pellet) 15 min, 11.3 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.6%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU

-----

Does that look okay ? Also got some Simcoe but don't want to bitter too much.

Mad this recipe is a good one, the only thing I wouldn't do is the amarillo, because I had bad experiences with, and depend on which kveik strain you gonna use the citric and orange gonna be overwhelming. Cheers good brewing

Thank you for your comment. Can you elaborate on "depends on which strain" ?
It is Hornindal kveik.
Will rye spiciness mask some of that orange from Amarillo? Or would you recommend reducing later additions and upping bittering ?

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2020, 04:32:59 am »
Good morning.

I plan on my first kveik

Rye-kveik

Recipe specifics:

Style: Saison
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 5.0 gal
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.016
Bitterness (IBU): 33.9
Color (SRM): 7.6
ABV: 6.2%

Grain/Sugars:

4.00 lb Rye Amber LME, 44.4%
3.00 lb Wheat DME, 33.3%
2.00 lb Corn Sugar, 22.2%

Hops:

1.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.6%, Pellet) 60 min, 22.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.6%, Pellet) 15 min, 11.3 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.6%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU

-----

Does that look okay ? Also got some Simcoe but don't want to bitter too much.

Mad this recipe is a good one, the only thing I wouldn't do is the amarillo, because I had bad experiences with, and depend on which kveik strain you gonna use the citric and orange gonna be overwhelming. Cheers good brewing

Thank you for your comment. Can you elaborate on "depends on which strain" ?
It is Hornindal kveik.
Will rye spiciness mask some of that orange from Amarillo? Or would you recommend reducing later additions and upping bittering ?

With the strain hornidal you gonna get a lot of fruit, yellow fruit, some ppl say almost caramel, the spiciness would help, if I would brew this I would reducing to 1 oz the later addition only, but it me not you, if you like go for it my friend. Send feedback later of how it was.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2020, 07:12:35 pm »
"Expect no miracles" that's for sure. Its cool to get peoples opinions on kveik but i'm in the "i can't stand kveik camp" one more brew using it and thats it, wanna see what happens when you keep it cooler like mid 70's
what kveik are you using?

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2020, 07:01:44 am »
"Expect no miracles" that's for sure. Its cool to get peoples opinions on kveik but i'm in the "i can't stand kveik camp" one more brew using it and thats it, wanna see what happens when you keep it cooler like mid 70's
i used voss and hornidal, not my thing
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2020, 07:28:51 am »
i used voss and hornidal, not my thing

Try use the kveik lutra, they say it the most clean in the kveiks strains

Offline Gregory Miller

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2020, 05:50:27 pm »
Has anyone tried the Lutra? I'm about to start something that aims for about 6 gallons of  8% ABV... In his (richly detailed and beautifully illustrated) new book, and on his site, Lars Marius Garshol suggests pitching at a low rate.  I am wondering if anyone has had success with the low-pitch rate approach or if anyone has any other ideas they can recommend. 

Offline Dave_s

• 1st Kit
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2020, 06:31:19 pm »
I picked up some Lutra and was quite impressed. Rather clean and tasty. Not fruity like what I got from some of the other Kviek strains. I pitched a bit heavy and ran it at 85 degrees.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2020, 03:41:12 am »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2020, 04:28:30 am »
Sounds like Lutra is worth a try at 70F per the Omega website information.  Thanks Fire Rooster.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Fire Rooster

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2020, 07:11:11 am »
Sounds like Lutra is worth a try at 70F per the Omega website information.  Thanks Fire Rooster.
Welcome, brewing beer has an amazing number of variables.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:09:59 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2020, 07:25:33 am »
how fast does hops drop off in flavor/aroma if you expose the beer to a little o2 during say opening keg and adding dry hops? i am still tryng to tweak my methods and of coarse minimize o2 but in my case kegs last a few days around here probably not a real concern for my situation

Here's a thought. You could always hook up the CO2 to the keg gas-in side and run some in at a few PSI to create a positive pressure of the gas inside the keg when you open it to add the dry hops.  That will tend to reduce any O2 ingres into the keg.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline LexJ

• 1st Kit
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2020, 08:49:23 am »
I had high hopes for kveik but after using it a few times, I have come up against one major problem, chill haze. I have used Voss kveik, and omega's hothead, both cause a chill haze that won't go away unless I cold crash it for a month. Even after that long it is still not a really clear beer. I wish someone had an explanation for what causes this haze. I have never had a problem with-it chill haze in my beers.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2020, 12:09:59 pm »
I brewed a kolsch-style beer with Lutra last weekend. The yeast smelled awesome, very much like New Glarus' kolsch smells, or reminds me of Wy1007. I think it's going to be a very nice clean yeast. I pitched at 90F and let it fall to whatever it fell to. My house is at around 75F. It started fermenting within 30 minutes and was pretty much done fermenting in about 2 days. It will get kegged this weekend.
Jesse

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2020, 01:33:17 pm »
I brewed a kolsch-style beer with Lutra last weekend. The yeast smelled awesome, very much like New Glarus' kolsch smells, or reminds me of Wy1007. I think it's going to be a very nice clean yeast. I pitched at 90F and let it fall to whatever it fell to. My house is at around 75F. It started fermenting within 30 minutes and was pretty much done fermenting in about 2 days. It will get kegged this weekend.

Let us know your thoughts on the results.  I am anxious to hear about it.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2020, 01:41:03 pm »

Let us know your thoughts on the results.  I am anxious to hear about it.
I'll definitely do that.
Jesse