Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: kveik impressions  (Read 12540 times)

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
Re: kveik impressions
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2020, 02:02:25 pm »
I had high hopes for kveik but after using it a few times, I have come up against one major problem, chill haze. I have used Voss kveik, and omega's hothead, both cause a chill haze that won't go away unless I cold crash it for a month. Even after that long it is still not a really clear beer. I wish someone had an explanation for what causes this haze. I have never had a problem with-it chill haze in my beers.
I only used voss, and readed about the other, all the beer I made with the yeast I didnt need clarification, brewed some gose and farmhouse ale, but for I hear ppl talk none had problem with clarification, I'm need to pick up a little of the yeast when bottling to get the hazeness

Offline North63

• 1st Kit
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2020, 01:57:12 pm »
I've got some Lutra coming, so plan to brew with it this wkend. 

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2020, 04:17:01 pm »
I just kegged a kolsch-style beer fermented with Lutra. I'm incredibly impressed. It dropped bright, attenuated well (OG 1.046, FG 1.010) and tastes great. Hint of fruit, very light, and nice and clean. Since I lost my fermentation fridge, this is a game changer for me. The other kveiks were good, but this is CLEAN. Pitched at 90F, let temp natually drop down to room temp, which is mid 70s. Super happy with it. Oktoberfest style up next with it.
Jesse

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2020, 10:18:13 am »
I started playing around with Kveik cultures I received from trades on Milk The Funk back in 2015 or so. I probably have about 25 batches or so. Alot of the flavors and fast turn around time seemed like it would work well in hoppy beers, but I am now leaning against that conclusion.

My hoppy beers made with kveik have amazing initial hoppiness, but the freshness fades insanely quick. I am/was extremely mindful of oxidation, even managing to spund many of the batches by transferring to the serving keg 24 hours into fermentation, but the problem persisted. I think high temp dry hopping results in unstable hop flavors.

My SOP was typically this- Pitch an active 200ml starter at around 90 degrees, dry hop at about 50-70% attenuation, transfer to serving vessel about 24-30 hours in to spund at the tail end of fermentation. I would push beer with gas from my brewbucket to a keg either flushed with co2 from fermentation or filled with sanitizer and pushed with gas.
the beers were usually ready to drink by day 5-7.
The initial hoppiness stuck around for a few weeks then faded rapidly. I no longer use kveik for hoppy beers due to this problem.

also, the flavors from kveik vary greatly. Some were extremely clean, others fruity, usually leaning towards orange flavors.

Offline inbituinthebrew

• Cellarman
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2020, 08:21:14 am »
Is everyone referring to ambient temperatures?

I'm considering using these strains for times when I can only hold 70-75F ambient room temperatures in a Texas summer (when the fermentation chamber is holding something more sensitive)... Preferably on ales that can hide some subtleties (stouts, Porter's, etc)...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Alex B.

Currently reading: tbd

Bottled: Currently supporting local breweries

Fermenter: American Hefe

Up Next: Good Ol' American IPA

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2020, 11:35:52 am »
Is everyone referring to ambient temperatures?

I'm considering using these strains for times when I can only hold 70-75F ambient room temperatures in a Texas summer (when the fermentation chamber is holding something more sensitive)... Preferably on ales that can hide some subtleties (stouts, Porter's, etc)...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Generally it refers to beer temp.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

kveik impressions
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2021, 07:14:06 am »
I pitched Lallemand Voss last night at 97*F and set the fermenter on a countertop to cool to whatever it wanted to.

The airlock began bubbling right away — within a few minutes. This immediate bubbling could be a function of the wort naturally cooling (hot air escaping). I don’t attribute it to yeast activity.

I began seeing a change of gravity on the TILT within 3 hrs.  Interestingly, the gravity increased then an hour later decreased. I am speculating that the TILT was influenced by a yeast raft, krauzen, or turbulence.

This AM the wort/beer is 80*F and the gravity is 12 points lower than initial pitch. Amazing.

I am hoping for the orange flavor I hear about.

More to follow...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 07:31:12 am by BrewBama »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2021, 07:22:00 am »
Interestingly, the gravity increased then an hour later decreased. I am speculating that the TILT was influenced by a yeast raft, krauzen, or turbulence.

I have noticed this with the Tilt now because I am home all the time and I am checking it obsessively. I wonder if the Co2 causes a false reading.-- I've never been able to get an accurate reading when a beer is full of Co2 .and have to shake the sample well to remove Co2.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2021, 07:23:38 am »
As far as my impressions with Kviek goes I've brewed several batches and nothing has ever really stood out as an awesome beer. I've dumped a few before the keg was empty to make room form stuff I wanted to drink. I may experiment more this summer.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2021, 07:40:21 am »
I have some Kveik in the fridge. I have been afraid to use it. I don’t want to turn a good beer into an average beer. That said, I am tentatively planning an APA when the weather warms up.

I was excited when I bought the Kveik. But, now I realize I have yeast cultures I like and fermentation temperature control costs me very little (since I have had that equipment for years). That leaves me asking why bother with Kveik. I’ve never heard anyone say Kveik made better beer. I just hear it makes okay to good beer at warmer temperature.

Offline Chad Haatvedt

• 1st Kit
    • BorealBrewers
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2021, 07:39:19 pm »
I brew with the Voss strain.  My grain bill runs 15lbs 2row, 5 lbs malted wheat, 2 lbs Munich, 2 lbs malted oats, 3 lbs flaked wheat.  [10gal batch)

An oz of Citra and centennial at 45 min, Citra and mandarina at 20.

Them I ferment at 90f for 72 hrs. Split into two secondaries,  let one clean up naked. Dry hop like mad with Citra in the other.

Both are VERY good. I'm not sure why some folks say Kveik makes mediocre beer.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

There are 10 kinds of home brewers.  Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2021, 12:50:37 am »
If you like the beers made with Kviek, great, keep brewing with them. I’ve tried Voss and lutra. They both had good qualities, but to me, I didn’t like them enough to keep using them. I didn’t think lutra beers were clean in any way at all. Nice, yes, just not as good as similar beers brewed with other, more standard yeast strains
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2021, 08:45:49 am »
If you like the beers made with Kviek, great, keep brewing with them. I’ve tried Voss and lutra. They both had good qualities, but to me, I didn’t like them enough to keep using them. I didn’t think lutra beers were clean in any way at all. Nice, yes, just not as good as similar beers brewed with other, more standard yeast strains

Same conclusion I've reached.  Although Escarpment claims to have come up with some new clean strains.  They're sending me some to try, so I'll see.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2021, 09:07:55 am »
After brewing more with Lutra, I agree. I do think Hornindal makes an awesome stout though. I don't think any of the kveiks make good IPAs.
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2021, 09:15:07 am »
I made a pretty decent hazy IPA with Hordinal. I felt like the tropical esters from the yeast shone through and complimented the hops. I'm not really into Hazy IPAs enough to brew it again though.

I think for homebrewers who can't control fermentation temperature these may be a good alternative for brewing palatable beers.