Author Topic: kveik impressions  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Descardeci

• Cellarman
Re: kveik impressions
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2020, 08:02:25 PM »
I had high hopes for kveik but after using it a few times, I have come up against one major problem, chill haze. I have used Voss kveik, and omega's hothead, both cause a chill haze that won't go away unless I cold crash it for a month. Even after that long it is still not a really clear beer. I wish someone had an explanation for what causes this haze. I have never had a problem with-it chill haze in my beers.
I only used voss, and readed about the other, all the beer I made with the yeast I didnt need clarification, brewed some gose and farmhouse ale, but for I hear ppl talk none had problem with clarification, I'm need to pick up a little of the yeast when bottling to get the hazeness

Offline North63

• 1st Kit
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2020, 07:57:12 PM »
I've got some Lutra coming, so plan to brew with it this wkend. 

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • In the night!
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2020, 10:17:01 PM »
I just kegged a kolsch-style beer fermented with Lutra. I'm incredibly impressed. It dropped bright, attenuated well (OG 1.046, FG 1.010) and tastes great. Hint of fruit, very light, and nice and clean. Since I lost my fermentation fridge, this is a game changer for me. The other kveiks were good, but this is CLEAN. Pitched at 90F, let temp natually drop down to room temp, which is mid 70s. Super happy with it. Oktoberfest style up next with it.

Offline Cliffs

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2020, 04:18:13 PM »
I started playing around with Kveik cultures I received from trades on Milk The Funk back in 2015 or so. I probably have about 25 batches or so. Alot of the flavors and fast turn around time seemed like it would work well in hoppy beers, but I am now leaning against that conclusion.

My hoppy beers made with kveik have amazing initial hoppiness, but the freshness fades insanely quick. I am/was extremely mindful of oxidation, even managing to spund many of the batches by transferring to the serving keg 24 hours into fermentation, but the problem persisted. I think high temp dry hopping results in unstable hop flavors.

My SOP was typically this- Pitch an active 200ml starter at around 90 degrees, dry hop at about 50-70% attenuation, transfer to serving vessel about 24-30 hours in to spund at the tail end of fermentation. I would push beer with gas from my brewbucket to a keg either flushed with co2 from fermentation or filled with sanitizer and pushed with gas.
the beers were usually ready to drink by day 5-7.
The initial hoppiness stuck around for a few weeks then faded rapidly. I no longer use kveik for hoppy beers due to this problem.

also, the flavors from kveik vary greatly. Some were extremely clean, others fruity, usually leaning towards orange flavors.

Offline inbituinthebrew

• Cellarman
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2020, 02:21:14 PM »
Is everyone referring to ambient temperatures?

I'm considering using these strains for times when I can only hold 70-75F ambient room temperatures in a Texas summer (when the fermentation chamber is holding something more sensitive)... Preferably on ales that can hide some subtleties (stouts, Porter's, etc)...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Alex B.

Currently reading: tbd

Bottled: Currently supporting local breweries

Fermenter: American Hefe

Up Next: Good Ol' American IPA

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2020, 05:35:52 PM »
Is everyone referring to ambient temperatures?

I'm considering using these strains for times when I can only hold 70-75F ambient room temperatures in a Texas summer (when the fermentation chamber is holding something more sensitive)... Preferably on ales that can hide some subtleties (stouts, Porter's, etc)...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Generally it refers to beer temp.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell