Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BA/AHA Layoffs - Gary Glass!  (Read 3872 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: BA/AHA Layoffs - Gary Glass!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 09:02:34 am »
I figured this would happen pretty early on. There's just no way the BA/AHA doesn't live and die by those events. Organizations primarily source funding from external sources whether it is fundraising or hosting events.

As much as I am glad the BA did the right thing by canceling the events it is deeply unfortunate for everybody who lost their job. I hope they all land on their feet and nobody else suffers the same fate.

As an AHA member I would like to know why the decision was made to eliminate the director and what plans are in place to replace his job duties.

Gary's duties will be taken over by Brewers Association Vice President of Staff Development Ryan Farrell
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 11:02:55 am »
Can’t say I’m sad about the trouble the AHA finds itself in. They certainly don’t represent, or even accept, a certain portion of the brewing population. Maybe this will end up being cathartic.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 09:48:56 am »
Can’t say I’m sad about the trouble the AHA finds itself in. They certainly don’t represent, or even accept, a certain portion of the brewing population. Maybe this will end up being cathartic.
How would you suggest the AHA represent and accept this certain portion of the brewing population?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 02:32:16 pm »
a certain portion of the brewing population.

I believe the more accurate term is "cult".
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 05:59:51 pm »
Saw this coming when I asked early on about Homebrew Con and Nashville tornado storm damage back then.  I figured that cancelling would be problematic.  Really unfortunate.  Just shows how tenuous things are.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 04:37:56 pm »

I would appreciate hearing what portion you’re referring to. That would be something to correct.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 08:35:33 am »

I would appreciate hearing what portion you’re referring to. That would be something to correct.

Reading between the lines and looking at his post history, I would guess he's referring to the low dissolved oxygen brewing community. Didn't realize they were discriminated against, but I'm not very active here and I'm sure there's at least 2 sides to this story...

Offline Sanatorium

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 10:26:12 am »
a certain portion of the brewing population.

I believe the more accurate term is "cult".

Reading between the lines and looking at his post history, I would guess he's referring to the low dissolved oxygen brewing community. Didn't realize they were discriminated against, but I'm not very active here and I'm sure there's at least 2 sides to this story...

No need to read between the lines when its in plain sight.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2020, 06:08:44 pm »
For someone who started homebrewing in the early 2000s, I really appreciate how far it’s come.  Sure, there may be some things that I don’t always agree with.  However, overall I’ve been really happy with the money I’ve spent over the years in supporting the AHA.  I think my brewing is better for it, and more importantly, is so enjoyable these days.  It’s how I escape.  It’s sad to see that we’ve reached this point economically, and I can only hope that it can reverse in the next few years. 

Whenever layoffs have happened where I’ve worked, I’ve always had a bit of sadness about me (even those that were needed) as behind every person is a real story and family and friends.  Fortunately, I’ve never been laid off in 23 years, but when I talk to my friends who have, they often say it was so hard at first, but in the end they came out better on the other side.  I’ll raise my glass to those laid off and hope that they find that the other side has offered growth and a new appreciation for life.

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2020, 09:15:03 am »
For someone who started homebrewing in the early 2000s, I really appreciate how far it’s come.  Sure, there may be some things that I don’t always agree with.  However, overall I’ve been really happy with the money I’ve spent over the years in supporting the AHA.  I think my brewing is better for it, and more importantly, is so enjoyable these days.  It’s how I escape.  It’s sad to see that we’ve reached this point economically, and I can only hope that it can reverse in the next few years. 

Whenever layoffs have happened where I’ve worked, I’ve always had a bit of sadness about me (even those that were needed) as behind every person is a real story and family and friends.  Fortunately, I’ve never been laid off in 23 years, but when I talk to my friends who have, they often say it was so hard at first, but in the end they came out better on the other side.  I’ll raise my glass to those laid off and hope that they find that the other side has offered growth and a new appreciation for life.

Yes, all of this! I'll second these sentiments. We're living in hard times and they are not near being over and there is a very real and personal toll on many in terms of job loss, financial instability, stress level and mental health, and a sense of insecurity about the future. My heart goes out to those who are being so negatively affected by the COVID pandemic. I think generally organizations and employers are doing the best they can in terrible circumstances where there are no ideal outcomes available. I take it on good faith that the AHA falls in this category.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline BrewBama

BA/AHA Layoffs - Gary Glass!
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2020, 09:20:28 am »

They’re not discriminated against here. They’ve segregated themselves because everyone doesn’t agree with them.

For example: they often complain that Brülosophy has bastardized their processes. Yet, if you peel back the onion just one layer you’ll find that Marshall has contacted them to help set up a better analysis.

In fact, Brülosophy attempted on numerous occasions to work something out with the LODO (and Low Dissolved Oxygen Brewing) folks, to no avail. The response has typically been some form of "let people try it for themselves and decide, they don't need your kind of data."  So, even if asked to participate, they decline preferring to play the outcast and sit on a superiority pedestal. 

BTW, if you ask a direct question on their site you’ll often similarly get the ‘go find it yourself’ answer. (Guess how I know). Once you get past getting cussed out, you’ll end up wading thru piles of scientific papers where you might find the answer. Then, when you think you have it figured out they’ll change the process buried in tens of pages of a discussion forum and ridicule you because you’re behind the times.

The same can be said for the AHA. Once in a while they’ll get off their high horse to visit the dredges of brewer society here. When they do visit, if you disagree with them you’ll get the ‘old what for’ and then they retreat to their own site complaining this is an echo chamber.  There they denigrate the folks here for *gasp* having a different opinion than they do.  Talk about an echo chamber. (Denny gets especially great coverage there.)

No. It’s simply ridiculous that he said they’re not supported. They choose not to be supported so they can say that.

Though I can’t speak for the AHA, based on what I’ve seen I believe they’d be totally welcome ...but they have to allow dissenting views to do it which evidently they aren’t willing to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 09:35:57 am by BrewBama »

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2020, 10:13:48 am »
I'm honored to be a frequent topic of discussion.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Sanatorium

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2020, 01:43:01 pm »

They’re not discriminated against here. They’ve segregated themselves because everyone doesn’t agree with them.

For example: they often complain that Brülosophy has bastardized their processes. Yet, if you peel back the onion just one layer you’ll find that Marshall has contacted them to help set up a better analysis.

In fact, Brülosophy attempted on numerous occasions to work something out with the LODO (and Low Dissolved Oxygen Brewing) folks, to no avail. The response has typically been some form of "let people try it for themselves and decide, they don't need your kind of data."  So, even if asked to participate, they decline preferring to play the outcast and sit on a superiority pedestal. 

BTW, if you ask a direct question on their site you’ll often similarly get the ‘go find it yourself’ answer. (Guess how I know). Once you get past getting cussed out, you’ll end up wading thru piles of scientific papers where you might find the answer. Then, when you think you have it figured out they’ll change the process buried in tens of pages of a discussion forum and ridicule you because you’re behind the times.

The same can be said for the AHA. Once in a while they’ll get off their high horse to visit the dredges of brewer society here. When they do visit, if you disagree with them you’ll get the ‘old what for’ and then they retreat to their own site complaining this is an echo chamber.  There they denigrate the folks here for *gasp* having a different opinion than they do.  Talk about an echo chamber. (Denny gets especially great coverage there.)

No. It’s simply ridiculous that he said they’re not supported. They choose not to be supported so they can say that.

Though I can’t speak for the AHA, based on what I’ve seen I believe they’d be totally welcome ...but they have to allow dissenting views to do it which evidently they aren’t willing to do.

A lot of heresay there.
I found no google-able proof of any of those claims.
Sounds very "get off my lawn", which falls into what I have seen here (long time lurker, first time poster).

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2020, 02:00:27 pm »

You nailed it.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2020, 02:24:53 pm »

A lot of heresay there.
I found no google-able proof of any of those claims.
Sounds very "get off my lawn", which falls into what I have seen here (long time lurker, first time poster).
Long time lurker? Your account was created two days ago.