Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: saccharification  (Read 2806 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: saccharification
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 11:42:47 am »
Not to push the technical side too much, but the two enzymes at work here have different temperature sweet spots.  They also act on starches differently, so some advocate starting at a lower temperature of 144F for a portion of the mash period and then increasing the temperature to around 158-162F for the next portion.  Optionally some do a mash out to stop the enzyme activity @ around 168-170F.

You are correct of course.  That said, these are advanced topics, which advanced homebrewers should understand but even them some advanced homebrewers don't use much if at all.

Cheers.   8)

Lately I've been brewing a beer with that may schedule, then doing the same one as a single infusion.  Damned if I can tell a difference.

I notice a difference in head retention and clarity.

Not me.  Maybe the malts we're using?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 11:49:38 am »
Not to push the technical side too much, but the two enzymes at work here have different temperature sweet spots.  They also act on starches differently, so some advocate starting at a lower temperature of 144F for a portion of the mash period and then increasing the temperature to around 158-162F for the next portion.  Optionally some do a mash out to stop the enzyme activity @ around 168-170F.

You are correct of course.  That said, these are advanced topics, which advanced homebrewers should understand but even them some advanced homebrewers don't use much if at all.

Cheers.   8)

Lately I've been brewing a beer with that may schedule, then doing the same one as a single infusion.  Damned if I can tell a difference.

I notice a difference in head retention and clarity.

Not me.  Maybe the malts we're using?

could be, who knows.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2020, 07:13:52 pm »
As another data point: I don’t have a problem with foam stability or clarity using single infusion. I normally use Rahr Standard 2-row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2020, 07:26:32 pm »
As another data point: I don’t have a problem with foam stability or clarity using single infusion. I normally use Rahr Standard 2-row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one of the ones I use, too.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
saccharification
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2020, 08:25:43 pm »
When I look at the malt data, I decide what mash schedule to use.

Yep, that's the logical way to do it.  But does that mean that none of the malt I have benefits from a step mash?  And then there are the people who do it religiously and claim the see a difference.
I hate to say it but i agree with Denny.

I started with step mashing but these days i just single infuse.

Using good flavorful malt is more important then step process.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 07:01:01 am »

Yep, that's the logical way to do it.  But does that mean that none of the malt I have benefits from a step mash?  And then there are the people who do it religiously and claim the see a difference.

The only beer in which I do a step mash is my Helles and I do that because I read Horst Dornbush's style book on Bavarian Helles and liked the results.  All others are single infusions.  I did decoctions mashes (single, double, and triple) with my Helles a few times and didn't see any real difference in flavor (I know this is contrary to what was presented in the Lager Techniques seminar at this year's virtual Homebrew Con).  Whether the step mash is better than just doing a single infusion, I am not sure it really makes that much difference, but the beer tastes good and that's all that matters.

As Denny and Thirsty Monk have said, the choice of flavorful malts is more important and I totally agree.  If I am making Helles, for example, I use continental malts for the flavor profile to more accurately recreate the style.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 07:25:51 am »

For "hot" NA malts, I've been mashing at 158F.

I've got some Chevallier malt, that will be at 149F.

German malts typically get step mashes. Some years back I got some Durst Turbo Pils, which was marketed as being good for infusion mashes, and it was.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 08:45:32 am »

You hate to say it?  Thanks.

www.dennybrew.com