Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Re-pitching yeast back into the same beer  (Read 780 times)

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Re-pitching yeast back into the same beer
« on: June 24, 2020, 06:28:48 pm »
I had a crazy thought.  I made a ginormous stout that came out more ginormous than I thought it would.  Bottom line, I need to pitch more yeast.  What if I collected some yeast from the fermenter, threw it in a starter and re-pitched into the same beer?
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
Re: Re-pitching yeast back into the same beer
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 07:50:21 pm »
If you could choose between a fresh pitch of yeast or reusing, I’d use a fresh one to work in a high ABV environment. The reused yeast may do OK, but fresh yeast may be in a better position to do what you’re asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 06:24:29 am »
I agree with jverduin. If the yeast petered out before fermentation completed it's likely stressed and not a good candidate for reuse.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 02:56:54 pm »
I agree that the preferred route is fresh yeast, but a starter that is new with a dose of the old slurry is really awfully similar to a starter of new yeast that has finished and settled out within the starter.  But, regardless, I would pitch it at high krausen for either approach.  Look into an Shaken not Stirred starter and pitch it at high Krausen and I bet you will get some downward movement in the gravity.  Just a guess - nothing science based in that.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"