Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer to share with my daughter when she turns 21  (Read 2260 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Beer to share with my daughter when she turns 21
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 01:36:22 pm »
I think English Barleywine is probably the best option. Oxidation is unavoidable in a beer that old, and the sherry like character of oxidation works best in that style more than about any other.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

+1  One of my brew buddies made an English Barleywine for the birth of his youngest daughter.  They opened it when she turned 21 and the beer was  very sherry-like but still great as he told me.  I have some 27 year old bottles of Thomas Hardy's Ale here that are still delicious after aging that long.

BTW, my brew buddy and I make a barleywine every year hand have them going back 6 years now.  They have aged very well.

I should also say welcome to the forum and congrats on the birth of your daughter, Garrett
One of the best beers I ever had was a 1988 Thomas Hardy's Old Ale when it was about 20 something years old.  However, it was a sweet spot for sure.  The same day I sampled one two years older that was not good at all.

I once had a chance to try a 54 year old bottle of Ballantine Burton Ale.  Not really recognisable as beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 01:53:30 pm »
I think English Barleywine is probably the best option. Oxidation is unavoidable in a beer that old, and the sherry like character of oxidation works best in that style more than about any other.

+1  One of my brew buddies made an English Barleywine for the birth of his youngest daughter.  They opened it when she turned 21 and the beer was  very sherry-like but still great as he told me.  I have some 27 year old bottles of Thomas Hardy's Ale here that are still delicious after aging that long.

BTW, my brew buddy and I make a barleywine every year hand have them going back 6 years now.  They have aged very well.

I should also say welcome to the forum and congrats on the birth of your daughter, Garrett
One of the best beers I ever had was a 1988 Thomas Hardy's Old Ale when it was about 20 something years old.  However, it was a sweet spot for sure.  The same day I sampled one two years older that was not good at all.
I tried an '86 a couple of years ago that had turned to vinegar, but I have some as old as 2001 in my cellar that are still in good shape. I just tasted my oldest homebrew batch of barleywine from 2012 last month and it was still quite enjoyable.

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2020, 05:11:21 pm »
I once had a chance to try a 54 year old bottle of Ballantine Burton Ale.  Not really recognisable as beer.

You are a brave man.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline GARRETT MURPHY

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 06:04:13 am »
Mead is a great idea as well. However I have never done it haha. Thanks again for all the responses!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 08:08:18 am »

You are a brave man.

Naw, not really...it tasted a bit like watered down scotch
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nathanw

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 03:59:37 pm »
As folks have mentioned, aging for 21 years is a crapshoot. I like the idea, and entertained it myself when my first kid was coming along. Let me suggest a few other ideas:

- Target a younger age than 21. You can serve your own kid in your own house legally in most states (be sure to check). Maybe 13 or 14 would be a good "starting to be mature enough to drink at home supervised" threshold, and sharing a bottle with them then might be reasonable.
 - Wait 5 years or so and get them to help brew something to drink in another 8 or 10 years, instead of aiming for all of the years from the outset. Even if their participation is minimal - dropping things into the kettle, maybe, or having their hands on yours while capping bottles - it'll be something they participated in.
 - While you're at it, make sure you brew something for your wife to drink relatively soon after the kid is born, assuming she liked beer before.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2020, 04:29:39 pm »
I think it would help to store the beer cold if that’s possible. Maybe, stash a few in the back of the refrigerator and enjoy the rest once a year to see how it’s progressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2020, 08:52:16 am »
I think it would help to store the beer cold if that’s possible. Maybe, stash a few in the back of the refrigerator and enjoy the rest once a year to see how it’s progressing.

One thought I've had over the years is to bottle condition, then store the bottles in a purged/sealed keg to minimize O2 ingress. I don't know how much shelf life that will buy you, but it might be a decent insurance policy.

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 10:23:21 am »

One thought I've had over the years is to bottle condition, then store the bottles in a purged/sealed keg to minimize O2 ingress. I don't know how much shelf life that will buy you, but it might be a decent insurance policy.

That sounds like it would work. I have noticed that bottle conditioning works better than filling from a keg.

Dan Chisholm

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2020, 11:23:08 am »
I had a similar idea -- daughter was just born. Perhaps I will purchase a barrel of bourbon from a small Kentucky distillery and wait to bottle until she's 21.