Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Three Sons  (Read 2143 times)

Fire Rooster

My Three Sons
« on: June 30, 2020, 09:16:12 am »
Grains, Hops, & Yeasts

Over the course of two years many grains were tried.
It seems at the present time Vienna & White wheat are my favorites.
Can't find the love for Munich, which is now off my list, along with Carapils & Crystal.

As far as hops, I'm swaying away from Citra, enjoy Centennial.
Still trying others and haven't found my favorites yet.
Currently trying Simcoe & Amarillo.
Cascade and Mosaic and now also off my list.

Trying BRY97 for the first time, so far Nottingham is my favorite.

Rambling thoughts over.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:20:43 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: My Three Sons
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 12:19:37 pm »
Centennial and Cascade make a good blend as welk
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 12:20:04 pm »
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 02:42:21 pm »

I tried that combo and didn't like it.
I thought Cascade took away from the Centennial.
Then I tried Cascade by itself and found I don't like cascade.
I guess its about personal preference.
Many hear rave about certain hops that I just can't get into.
My tastes are evolving. Citra was my favorite, now it's not.

My wife and I rate every batch (1-10), I can't seem to get past an 8.
Trying variations of centennial, simcoe, and amarillo.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 02:47:58 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
My Three Sons
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 03:08:46 pm »
That is interesting. I am finding I don’t get these awesome flavors everyone talks about.  I’m finding hops are hops regardless of variety. ...but I’m trying a cpl new techniques to try to improve the flavor.

I have a Falconer’s Flight and my take on Four Wive’s I kegged today to cold dry hop, and a Mt Hood/Cascade Blonde and an all Cascade APA upcoming to try these techniques on.

Have tried some of the blends? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:17:45 pm by BrewBama »

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 09:28:24 pm »
What style of beer do you prefer?
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 11:37:40 pm »
El dorado, centennial, Columbus, Idaho 7 all work well Together in my opinion.  Citra only in very small amts.  Don’t like cascade.  Love Hallertauer Mittelfrueh for lagers.
Don’t like Vienna (sweet in my opinion).  Just made a dunkel with 60% Munich and love it.  Need to try maris otter. 
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 01:59:56 am »
What style of beer do you prefer?

I'm not sure, maybe session IPAs.  My favorite commercial beers are probably
Dogfish Head 90 & 60 minute IPA.  The 90 minute tastes best to me but the ABV
is too high, the 60 minute is a tad too high also.  Before starting brewing my own
All Day IPA by Founders, and Lagunitas IPA was my choice.  I drink 2 daily with dinner so low ABV
is a must.  I realize taste begins to fade as the ABV lowers.  But an ABV of 4.5
seems to be my sweet spot, any lower I think it becomes colored water.

Finding quality/preferred grains and hops seem to be where I'm at, and are more
important with lower ABV.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 04:19:56 am by Fire Rooster »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 02:06:12 am »
El dorado, centennial, Columbus, Idaho 7 all work well Together in my opinion.  Citra only in very small amts.  Don’t like cascade.  Love Hallertauer Mittelfrueh for lagers.
Don’t like Vienna (sweet in my opinion).  Just made a dunkel with 60% Munich and love it.  Need to try maris otter.

I agree Vienna is on the sweet side, but the white wheat backs it off a bit. I didn't like Munich at first but my 50%
Munich batch is aging well and beginning to taste good to me.  I think some grains taste better in
the lower ABV range than others, if that makes any sense.  To be honest I'm lost in a sea of grains, hops, and
yeasts.  On the bright side my beers are slowly getting better.  Will check out that hop combo in time.
A tad sweet is welcoming in the summer months, but maybe not so in the fall/winter months.
A batch brewed with 100% Vienna was too sweet but the flavor was very good. Brewed another batch 50/50
(Vienna, white wheat), was backed off too much.  Next 2 batches are 75/20 and 60/40 to find the
perfect combo.  May try cutting Vienna with Munich and white wheat in the future.  With lower ABV, Vienna
seems to be my preferred base malt.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:50:32 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 07:41:51 am »
A tad sweet is welcoming in the summer months, but maybe not so in the fall/winter months.

That’s interesting. I prefer more dry and hoppy in the heat (APA, Golden Ale, ...) and a bit of sweet in the cold (Brown Ale, Scottish Ale, 2x Bock, Festbier, ...).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 10:59:41 am »

That’s interesting. I prefer more dry and hoppy in the heat (APA, Golden Ale, ...) and a bit of sweet in the cold (Brown Ale, Scottish Ale, 2x Bock, Festbier, ...).

I'm in the same camp, but there are some flavors I associate with "sweetness" that I like in my summer beers that are attenuated fairly dry. For example, the banana/clove of a hefeweizen or certain tropical hop flavors in an IPA give an impression of sweetness on the palate, but the beers themselves finish crisp and dry.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Fire Rooster

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 11:00:31 am »

Corona with lime, blue moon with orange, and lemonade aren't enjoyable in the Winter.
Guess it's all in the mind, should taste the same, nonetheless its preferred in warm/hot weather.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:09:13 pm by Fire Rooster »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2020, 11:37:50 am »

Perhaps a play with words, but slightly fruity is perhaps a better description on desirable summer beers.
I'm in the same camp, but there are some flavors I associate with "sweetness" that I like in my summer beers that are attenuated fairly dry. For example, the banana/clove of a hefeweizen or certain tropical hop flavors in an IPA give an impression of sweetness on the palate, but the beers themselves finish crisp and dry.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2020, 11:39:39 am »

Perhaps a play with words, but slightly fruity is perhaps a better description on desirable summer beers.

Perhaps a play with words, but slightly fruity/citrusy is possibly a better description for my summer beer preferences.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 12:45:31 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2020, 08:28:21 am »