Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yuengling, Transferred  (Read 4371 times)

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Yuengling, Transferred
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:58:43 pm »
So we were a bunch of lightweights this year and I ended up coming home with almost 5 gallons of Yuengling. What's a fellow to do? Why, make a jumper and push it into a corny keg of course.

So an hour and some questionable, drunken sanitation practices later, I have a corny of YuengALingALing on tap. Stop on by! Not sure how long it's gonna last.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Yuengling, Transferred
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 11:07:39 am »
I like what we've done in the past. Someone orders a keg of something big - Bigfoot, Celebration, Fantome (ok, that was just me) and then you and two other buds gather a corny a piece, jumper and transfer from the keg to yours and split the costs.

Damn hard to beat that.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 12:27:47 pm »
I've always assumed it could be done in theory, but I never actually tried it before. Remarkably easy. It's a good thing I buy a half dozen of any random little bit of hardware that looks useful.

Also, I should have a breathalyzer lockout on my laptop.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:45:01 pm »
I've done it a few times, both with leftovers like you've got, or with a new keg like Drew mentioned.  No problems at all.

I would have stopped by, but it's nearly 3000 miles :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 12:49:06 pm »

Also, I should have a breathalyzer lockout on my laptop.

lol! they should do this for cell phones too...although it would totally ruin a show like 'jersey shore'...or spare us a show like 'jersey shore'

i had never thought of a transfer like this, very intriguing.
Take it easy...

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 01:34:36 pm »
I heard about a bunch of guys who went in together on a keg of Samichlaus and bottled it with a CP filler with good results and significant savings. It was probably Drew, that sneaky bastard.

Any time I get one of these "Well, why don't I just..." ideas regarding beer, I think of Bill Murray in Ghostbusters. Trust me, Ma'am. I'm a homebrewer.

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 02:26:15 pm »
I am interested in how you did this.
Did you use a sankey to corny keg connections and bleed of the keg pressure as it filled?
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 02:30:09 pm »
Yes, my sankey tap has been fitted with ball-lock QD posts, so I just charged up the empty corney, put the gas line back on the sankey, made a jumper with a black "out" qd on each end and connected it up to the two out posts. Then just sat there and bled off pressure whenever the line would start to get foamy. Worked pretty well.

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 02:33:10 pm »
Nice work! I will have to remember this trick next time I'm debating on spending the extra $$ on a specialty keg.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 02:42:59 pm »
I always do mine by filling a keg FULL with starsan.  I mean FULL!  Then seal it up, and push the starsan out with CO2, so the keg should have as little air in it as possible.  I think this will help keep the beer longer, since many commercial kegged beers have no yeast to absorb the O2 and prevent oxidation.  It might be overkill though.

Then I just push from the commercial keg to the corney, venting like you said.  Works like a charm.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 04:20:29 pm »
That's a nice idea. I've just bled the cornie a couple of times w/ CO2 like you do right after you rack to the cornie, but it's a crap shoot to know if you've used too much or not enough CO2 to get all the O2 out. I think I'll try that next time I push from a commercial 1/2 bbl into a cornie keg.
Just brew it...

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 04:44:09 pm »
This is actually my process for all of my kegs no matter what beer is heading into them. Is it perfect? Not a chance in hell, but man it makes me feel better
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 04:56:27 pm »
i assume that the commercial keg was not being served as at a picnic using a hand pump to maintain pressure and using proper co2 as the source? 
Don AHA member

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 10:18:24 pm »
i assume that the commercial keg was not being served as at a picnic using a hand pump to maintain pressure and using proper co2 as the source? 

Why, is it bad to use the hand pump?

;D

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 12:47:06 am »
Introduces O2? Plus, we always got foamy brew because kegs were always overpumped IIRC...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis