Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is Carrageenan the same thing as Whirlfloc?  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Is Carrageenan the same thing as Whirlfloc?
« on: July 03, 2020, 05:33:27 pm »
I have an extract kit (Souless IPA from Morebeer) I'm brewing this weekend and going through the different packages tonight. What is the Carrageenan tablet? Says something about clarifying. I have Whirlfloc tablets and assuming I wouldn't add those to the boil if using the Carrageenan?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Is Carrageenan the same thing as Whirlfloc?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 06:35:32 pm »
Whirlfloc tablets are a blend of Irish Moss and purified Kappa carrageenan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 07:20:24 pm »
The tablet you got with the kit is likely KICK carrageenan. Carrageenan is a salt water plant (seaweed), often called Irish Moss, and has been used in native Irish cooking for centuries. I've used minimally processed Carrageenan from Ireland, Whirlfloc and Kick tablets and haven't seen any difference in performance from one to the other. They all do a great job of encouraging proteins and hop debris to settle out in the kettle, allowing a clean transfer when used in conjunction with the proper late boil and post chilling process.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 07:22:07 pm by Bob357 »
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 02:02:21 am »
Great! Thank you both for "clarifying" things.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 06:15:34 am »
I also learned something about Whirlfloc from Denny and others on this forum.  Add your Whirlfloc during the last five minutes of the boil (not the last 15 minutes as was previously believed).  Also 1 tablet is good enough for 10 gallons of beer.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 02:15:09 pm »
Another thing about carrageenan is that it can complex with your other late additions too. Yeast nutrient and Brewtan B need to be added several minutes (maybe 5?)  away from this addition or the effectiveness of any of the additions can be affected. 

Also, did you know that the dose of carrageenan should be proportional to the wort gravity? That makes sense since the higher the gravity, the higher the concentrations of proteins and other content that may need to be precipitated.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 07:05:42 am »
Thanks for the info! I added the carrageenan and yeast nute (1/2 tsp) at T-10. Probably a minute apart as I didn't read this post this morning. We'll see how she goes. Maybe use 1/2 tablet (I'm brewing 5 gal batches) next time at T-5? I'll make a note to space them apart 5 mins.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 08:26:58 am »
FWIW: I like to add Brewtan at 16 minutes, immersion chiller at 15 minutes, Whirlflock at 5 min, and yeast nutrient in the fermenter after cooling the wort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 11:28:14 am »
I spoke with a knowledgeable source that said adding the Brewtan B at 16 minutes (rehydrated), followed by the whirlfloc at 14 and the yeast nutrient at 10 minutes are the suggested time frame.  There simply needs to be a couple minutes between the Brewtan B and the whirlfloc.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 01:45:41 am »
I'm always learning useful info here. I had always added my whirlfloc, PVPP and nutrient all together at 10 minutes, and my gallotannin at flameout. Now I'll be moving to gallotannin > whirlfloc/PVPP > nutrient
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 07:25:13 am »
I used to add Yeast Nutrient and Whirlfloc at T-15 but changed it.  I add nutrient now at T-15 and Whirfloc at T-5.

Also an interesting comment of carrageenan amount being proportional to the wort gravity, Martin.  Do you have a calculation on how much to add?  I have heard from Denny and others that one WF tablet is good enough for 10 gallons and 1/2 tablet for five gallons (Denny mentioned that he got this from the manufacturer).  I need to do some more research on this but you input would be appreciated.  I realize that WF is a combination of carrageenan and Irish Moss.  Inquiring minds want to know.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 08:09:03 am »
I used to add Yeast Nutrient and Whirlfloc at T-15 but changed it.  I add nutrient now at T-15 and Whirfloc at T-5.

Also an interesting comment of carrageenan amount being proportional to the wort gravity, Martin.  Do you have a calculation on how much to add?  I have heard from Denny and others that one WF tablet is good enough for 10 gallons and 1/2 tablet for five gallons (Denny mentioned that he got this from the manufacturer).  I need to do some more research on this but you input would be appreciated.  I realize that WF is a combination of carrageenan and Irish Moss.  Inquiring minds want to know.

I wonder if it's even a concern at our scale?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 01:51:42 pm »
BSG has a nice summary from Ian Ward:

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/Resources%5CCraftBrewing%5CPDFs%5CBrewing_Processes_and_Techniques/WortandBeerFiningManual.pdf

Powder - should be added to the kettle 5 minutes before cast
- must be slurried in cold water
- can be added to the kettle manually or pumped in
- can be added to the whirlpool at cast
Tablets - should be added to the kettle 5 minutes before cast
- can be added to the kettle manually or via a hopper
- can be added to the whirlpool at cast
Granules - should be added to the kettle 5 minutes (refined)
or 10 minutes (semi-refined) before casting
- can be added to the kettle manually or via a hopper

Dosage should be 40 ppm, or 1 tablet whirlfloc per 15.5 gallons of 1.040 wort. The quick takeaway I get from his writeup is too much will cause haze, and too little won't provide the clarity you want. There's a procedure on page 39 I'd like to try one of these days.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 06:36:22 pm »
Also an interesting comment of carrageenan amount being proportional to the wort gravity, Martin.  Do you have a calculation on how much to add? 

I haven't researched it, but Murphy and Sons in the UK has it listed in a chart on their website.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 09:24:39 am »
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1995.tb00860.x

Dale, C. J., et al. “Studies On The Molecular Basis Of Wort Clarification By Copper Fining Agents (Kappa Carrageenan).” Journal of the Institute of Brewing, vol. 101, no. 4, 1995, pp. 285–288., doi:10.1002/j.2050-0416.1995.tb00869.x.

Here's a paper that provides wort clarity based on fining rate, gravity, and pH.