Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Frozen beer?  (Read 898 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Frozen beer?
« on: July 05, 2020, 01:13:09 pm »
Currently have three kegs in my kegerator and noticed one was pouring foamy? It’s the one in the farthest back with the lowest abv.  I checked my temperature and it was 30 and there was ice on the outside of the keg. Knocked on it and it seems like it’s partially frozen. Still tastes fine even though it’s foamy. Decreasing the temperature of course To thaw, but I’ve never frozen or partially frozen beer before? Has this happen to anyone and will it affect the flavor from here on out?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Frozen beer?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 01:22:10 pm »
Under the ice, the alcohol will be a bit more concentrated in the unfrozen beer, but as it melts, it should dilute it back down.  Depending on how much you drink while it is frozen on top, it should be little difference if quickly thawed.  Let us know!  Some guys make eisbock with this technique, racking the concentrate off as the ice forms.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 01:26:49 pm »
To second ynotbrusm's experience, I've had frozen kegs before, and they end up just fine after thawing. I think there may be a slight haze that results in some beers, but it will be pretty minor. You may want to agitate the keg gently after it's thawed, in case there was separation of the light vs. heavy parts of the frozen beer....
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline bondra76

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 08:37:15 pm »
Just tell your friends you gave it an intense cold crash. They won’t notice the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 09:26:01 pm »
I once froze a keg almost solid.  Soaked it in the tub overnight.  After a few days on gas it was fine.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 01:08:19 pm »
So really weird, I thawed the beer and then put it back in the kegerator. It tasted flat, so I hooked it back up to CO2 at my normal level. But over the last two weeks it is not carbonated at all. I switched the CO2 lines. Still pretty flat.  My other beer that I carbonate from the same tank is perfectly carbed but this beer now won’t seem to carbonate to an appropriate level and I can’t understand why?
Any thoughts?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 08:04:00 pm »
So really weird, I thawed the beer and then put it back in the kegerator. It tasted flat, so I hooked it back up to CO2 at my normal level. But over the last two weeks it is not carbonated at all. I switched the CO2 lines. Still pretty flat.  My other beer that I carbonate from the same tank is perfectly carbed but this beer now won’t seem to carbonate to an appropriate level and I can’t understand why?
Any thoughts?
Chunk of ice blocking the gas-in line/poppet/dip tube?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer