Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping  (Read 896 times)

Offline Bonikuenzi

• 1st Kit
Dry hopping
« on: July 16, 2020, 12:02:57 pm »
Today is bottling day for my malverde ipa Recipe by Mike Karnowski. (2 weeks in the primary fermenter).  However , I realized that I had not dry hopped the required 4 oz of hops yet.  I pitched 1 oz of each of these hops: chinook, citra, Columbus and Pashto.  It called for simcoe not Pahto but I didn’t have any so used pahto.  I dry hopped right into the primary fermenter.  I plan to bottle in three days.  I also used one new yeast packet and some washed yeast from a previous batch.  Did I totally ruin this batch of beer??

Boni

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dry hopping
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 12:12:52 pm »
There was no need to add more yeast.  You may have to wait longer before bottling for the yeast to drop out.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bonikuenzi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 01:32:40 pm »
Oh, I started the primary fermentation with that amount of yeast.  The recipe called for 2 packets of yeast but I only used one new one and used the washed yeast from a previous batch.  I didn’t add more yeast when I did the dry hoppin on the fourteenth day if the primary fermentation.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 01:38:13 pm »
Oh, I started the primary fermentation with that amount of yeast.  The recipe called for 2 packets of yeast but I only used one new one and used the washed yeast from a previous batch.  I didn’t add more yeast when I did the dry hoppin on the fourteenth day if the primary fermentation.

Cool...good to know. FWIW, I and many others save and reuse yeast without the rinsing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 02:04:46 pm »
So are you saying that you were going to bottle today, realized that you hadn’t added your dry hops, added them today, and plan on bottling in three days?
If so that would be fine.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline tmm786

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 09:47:30 pm »
Sounds like you'll be fine.  A lot of schools of thought show extended dry hopping (beyond three days) wouldn't do much any way.  And, extending your primary fermentation by 3 days due to dry hop won't hurt anything either. 

Offline Hopspringseternal

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 03:05:30 pm »
I'm using a kit that suggests pouring the hops into the carboy and then transferring the brew on top. is this the best practice, or should I pour the hops on top of the beer after transferring to the carboy?
Hopspringseternal

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Dry hopping
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 05:59:10 am »
I wouldn’t transfer to a secondary at all to eliminate that potential source of O2 pickup.  You might consider adding them to the primary while there’s still active fermentation a cpl point short of completion instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 06:08:35 am by BrewBama »

Offline Hopspringseternal

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 07:58:31 am »
Thanks.  I'll follow that advice.
Hopspringseternal