Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lalbrew Diamond Lager  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Joshua Hughes

• 1st Kit
Lalbrew Diamond Lager
« on: July 10, 2020, 11:15:02 am »
Anyone used Lalbrew Diamond Lager? I’ve read that it is the same/similar strain to the 34/70. I have not used either. I am hoping to get the temp down in the 50’s. Low 60’s isn’t an issue. If the Lalbrew can ferment warmer than the 50-59 the pack says like the 34/70 then I’m good. If not I’ll have to use either us-05 or Nottingham. Planning Munich dunkel for brewing tomorrow.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Lalbrew Diamond Lager
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 11:20:16 am »
I've got a German pils fermenting with it right now and I have used it quite a few times in the past.  It has the same heritage as 34/70, but they're not quite identical.  I haven't used it at higher temps, but I'm guessing it would perform similarly to 34/70.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 01:09:25 pm »
I've got a German pils fermenting with it right now and I have used it quite a few times in the past.  It has the same heritage as 34/70, but they're not quite identical.  I haven't used it at higher temps, but I'm guessing it would perform similarly to 34/70.
what differences do you notice?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 01:21:08 pm »
what differences do you notice?

These are impressions since I haven t done a side by side, but I think the Dimond might be crisper and give more of what I think of as a lager aroma.  I realize that's kinda weak and uncertain, but I need to get some more 34/70 and test to be any more certain.  I can say that I think they are both very good.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 03:24:00 pm »
Wish my preferred retailer (YVH) sold diamond lager. Would like to try it.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 03:50:37 pm »
I have fermented with Diamond in the high 50’s with no issue.

I also think there is a slight difference between diamond and 34/70 but I haven’t done a side by side.  It’s hard to describe. Sometimes I get a slight sweetness in the finish with 34/70 that I didn’t get with the two brews I used Diamond Lager for. It could have been the recipes. I don’t know.

Label Peelers has Diamond Lager for $4.13/pack and it ships free. Easy way to get a pack or two.

https://labelpeelers.com/lallemand/

That said, I got a deal on 34/70 recently and have 3 packs on hand. I like both.

Offline Joshua Hughes

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 07:42:20 pm »
I’ll go with the diamond and keep it down in temp the best I can. 50’s should be no problem. Planning to get started after I mow my grass in the morning. Thanks to all replies.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 09:25:15 am »
I brewed a lager using Diamond Lager yeast at 57-59F and it turned out great.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 01:40:45 pm »
I had a run of lager with Diamond last year.  All of those beers came out nicely but... I am a fan of 2124 (which 34/70 is supposed to be derived from) and I do not feel like beers made with Diamond taste like beers made with 2124.  I have never used 34/70 so that's a variable too.  IME, 2124 is better than Diamond and Diamond is better than S-189.  S-189 is fine but it has less character than Diamond or 2124. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 02:43:28 pm »
I had a run of lager with Diamond last year.  All of those beers came out nicely but... I am a fan of 2124 (which 34/70 is supposed to be derived from) and I do not feel like beers made with Diamond taste like beers made with 2124.  I have never used 34/70 so that's a variable too.  IME, 2124 is better than Diamond and Diamond is better than S-189.  S-189 is fine but it has less character than Diamond or 2124.

Because a yeast has the same lineage doesn't mean that there won't be differences.  34/70 isn't exactly like 2124 either.  Just like 05 isn't just like 1056.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 03:43:37 pm »
I had an infection problem a year or two ago. Mine was more pronounced. So, probably not the same. Ultimately, I found that the inside of the spigot on my fermenter was not getting a good cleaning.

At the time, I also moved to using Iodophor for sanitizing the fermenter and stopped saving yeast slurries. I have dabbled successfully with pitching slurries since, but I make a starter now and taste the decanted starter beer before pitching just in case. I don’t reuse slurries as fast as you do, so the starter is good practice anyway.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 04:35:11 pm »
I had an infection problem a year or two ago. Mine was more pronounced. So, probably not the same. Ultimately, I found that the inside of the spigot on my fermenter was not getting a good cleaning.

At the time, I also moved to using Iodophor for sanitizing the fermenter and stopped saving yeast slurries. I have dabbled successfully with pitching slurries since, but I make a starter now and taste the decanted starter beer before pitching just in case. I don’t reuse slurries as fast as you do, so the starter is good practice anyway.
Ooh, was this supposed to be in the YEAST MANAGEMENT thread?  :P
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline tommymorris

Lalbrew Diamond Lager
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 05:40:43 pm »

Ooh, was this supposed to be in the YEAST MANAGEMENT thread?  :P
Actually, yes.  It was. Whoops.