Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wine grape additions to fermentation: sulfites etc.  (Read 871 times)

Offline chuck jones

• 1st Kit
Wine grape additions to fermentation: sulfites etc.
« on: July 10, 2020, 06:17:47 pm »
I will be making a Saison to which I plan to add some Sauvignon Blanc grape juice. I notice that the package says the juice contains sulfites. I'm concerned this may affect fermentation completion. I had planned to add it during max kreusen. Maybe I should wait till secondary? Love to hear from those with experience

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Wine grape additions to fermentation: sulfites etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 06:08:29 am »
I’m not a wine maker by any stretch.  But if you plan on adding grape juice to your fermenter along with your beer, I suggest you use grape juice intended to be used to make wine.  No chemicals, ready to go.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 08:04:35 am »
I have made a witbier with added grape must, which came out nicely, sort of like a beer that Dogfish Head made called Red and White.  If the grape juice was intended for making wine, then I don’t think the sulfites will make a difference.
I added it during fermentation, but not exactly as a secondary, just poured into the primary.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 10:45:31 am »
The sulfites are to prevent wild yeast on the grape skins from fermenting the must. It off-gasses fairly readily and shouldnt affect your fermentation. This is a common practice with wines and ciders, and those all ferment just fine once you pitch yeast into it.

One of the best beers I've ever brewed was a Saison with added Gewurztraminer must. I added the must about a week in to fermentation, if I recall correctly. It was once the initial fermentation had started to slow down, but was still slightly active. I think you will enjoy your results.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 06:47:28 am »
Not an issue. Proceed as planned.