Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wheat Beer Yeast Preferences  (Read 1548 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Wheat Beer Yeast Preferences
« on: June 19, 2020, 02:00:45 pm »
Ok, what is your favorite go to wheat yeast? Specifically for European wheat beer recipes.

What do you like about it?
What do you dislike about it?
Dry or liquid, why?
Do you stress the fermentation by under pitching?
What temp do you ferment?

I use either WB-06 or WLP300.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Wheat Beer Yeast Preferences
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 02:10:16 pm »
I have no desire to make a lot of wheat beer, but when I have made a German Hefeweizen, I used WLP 300, pitched (no starter) at about 58-60F and let it slow rise into the 68F range during the first few days of fermentation.  It is a POF+ yeast strain so the clove came through nicely, with some bubble gum and a little banana (warmer fermentation pushes more banana from increased isoamyl acetate I have been told).

The first time I made it I won a club contest, so I make it that way now.  But, like I said, I am not a huge wheat beer guy (I am overly clove sensitive - so the POF+ stuff isn't preferred by my palate...though I am fighting to overcome it and appreciate it through Belgians styles).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 04:17:28 pm »
By "Wheat Beer" you must mean Hefeweizen or Dunkleweizen? If you include Belgium Wheat beers my answer is different.

My preference is Omega OYL-021, however since the only LHBS within 2 hours of me closed, I now prefer to use WB-06. This is a summertime beer to me, and it gets too hot here to have liquid yeast shipped this time of year. The WB-06 works well.

Mash-in is at 112 for a short acid rest. This is the only style where I do a single decoction. Others will disagree, but I can tell the difference.

I pitch at 55 degrees and ferment at 62 degrees. Just my personal preference based on trial and error. The right blend of clove and banana for me. I pitch the entire pack, trusting the supplier to provide me the right amount. (blind trust?) Anyway it seems to work. I do not repitch, due to concerns with over-pitching. Must admit, this is 100% paranoia, not based on experience.
Roger

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 12:01:42 pm »
I like WLP351, mainly because it doesn't make beers that taste exactly like all the other wheat beers out there. There is a bit of vanilla in addition to the clove phenolics.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 11:08:05 pm »
Wlp300 gets my vote. Balanced and hits the classic Hefeweizen notes!
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 01:42:55 pm »
I used Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen yeast in a recent hefeweizen that I thought turned out really good.  I fermented it at 64 degrees until it started to slow and then brought it up slowly to finish it out  I think I finished with it at like 68 or something.   
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 06:41:01 am »
Wlp300 gets my vote. Balanced and hits the classic Hefeweizen notes!

Thats what I decided to go with. Just made it yesterday. Pitched at 70* and then set glycol chiller to 68* so the jury is out until a few weeks.